Health and police authorities in the ACT have issued a warning to the community following the accidental drug overdose by two men earlier today in the grounds of the University of Canberra.
About 11am ACT Ambulance Service was called to the student accommodation building, where two men, aged 26 and 28 respectively, were located unconscious under a verandah.
The men were conveyed to Calvary Hospital in a critical condition. Detective Sergeant John Giles from ACT Policing’s Criminal Investigations said it appears the men had ingested what they mistakenly believed to be ecstasy capsules but what police suspect are a synthetic Ketamine product.
Dr Peter Robertson from ACT Health said this incident is a stark reminder of the damage illicit drugs can cause.
Weekly NewsletterEvery Thursday afternoon, we package up the most-read and trending RiotACT stories of the past seven days and deliver straight to your inbox..
“It’s disturbing that people continue to take these substances, and they have no idea the kinds of poisons they contain,” said Dr Robertson.”
Sergeant Giles expressed his concern that this particular drug is still circulating throughout the ACT community, particularly the nightclub districts. The drug is described as a clear capsule, containing a white powder with a flour-like consistency.
“Our priority, as is that of health professionals, is for the health and welfare of anyone who may mistakenly take this toxic drug. The last thing we want to see is more young people risk their life by consuming drugs, especially when they have no idea what they contain,” Sergeant Giles said.
“ACT Policing is doing its best to battle illicit drugs in our community. We need young members of the community to be our eyes and ears, to help us prevent tragedies like this happening to Canberra families.”
If anyone has information about this incident, or any type of illicit drugs in Canberra they are urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or via www.act.crimestoppers.com.au.
- Food & Wine