Skip to content Skip to main navigation

News

Avani Terraces - Greenway
Life is looking up

Stay off the Special K

By johnboy - 11 April 2013 10

Health and police authorities in the ACT have issued a warning to the community following the accidental drug overdose by two men earlier today in the grounds of the University of Canberra.

About 11am ACT Ambulance Service was called to the student accommodation building, where two men, aged 26 and 28 respectively, were located unconscious under a verandah.

The men were conveyed to Calvary Hospital in a critical condition. Detective Sergeant John Giles from ACT Policing’s Criminal Investigations said it appears the men had ingested what they mistakenly believed to be ecstasy capsules but what police suspect are a synthetic Ketamine product.

Dr Peter Robertson from ACT Health said this incident is a stark reminder of the damage illicit drugs can cause.

“It’s disturbing that people continue to take these substances, and they have no idea the kinds of poisons they contain,” said Dr Robertson.”

Sergeant Giles expressed his concern that this particular drug is still circulating throughout the ACT community, particularly the nightclub districts. The drug is described as a clear capsule, containing a white powder with a flour-like consistency.

“Our priority, as is that of health professionals, is for the health and welfare of anyone who may mistakenly take this toxic drug. The last thing we want to see is more young people risk their life by consuming drugs, especially when they have no idea what they contain,” Sergeant Giles said.

“ACT Policing is doing its best to battle illicit drugs in our community. We need young members of the community to be our eyes and ears, to help us prevent tragedies like this happening to Canberra families.”

If anyone has information about this incident, or any type of illicit drugs in Canberra they are urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or via www.act.crimestoppers.com.au.

[Courtesy ACT Policing]

What’s Your opinion?


Post a comment
Please login to post your comments, or connect with
10 Responses to
Stay off the Special K
Ben_Dover 11:10 am 14 Apr 13
DrKoresh 9:15 pm 13 Apr 13

Stay off the special K, folks, it’s mushy season soon enough anyway 😀

Tetranitrate 6:21 pm 13 Apr 13

PBO said :

Seems a bit didgy to me, Ketamine is a very hard drug to overdose on and is undetectable in the body after 5-6 hours. Sounds like they may have taken Lethabarb instead.

It’s unlikely that what they took was pure Ketamine if it was sold as ecstacy. It was probably a mish-mash of a whole bunch of garbage.

Ben_Dover said :

Dr Peter Robertson from ACT Health said this incident is a stark reminder of the damage making drugs illicit can cause.

Fixed.

Word.

IrishPete 5:44 pm 13 Apr 13

Why don’t they just make all illicit drugs illegal? That’ll fix it.

IP
MSc(Sarcasm)

what_the 11:59 am 12 Apr 13

Ben_Dover said :

Dr Peter Robertson from ACT Health said this incident is a stark reminder of burying your head in the sound and ignoring harm minimisation measures.

Fixed.

Fixed again.

Pitchka 11:23 am 12 Apr 13

Its important to always, i repeat, ALWAYS, buy your drugs from a trust worthy supplier…

Ben_Dover 11:03 am 12 Apr 13

Dr Peter Robertson from ACT Health said this incident is a stark reminder of the damage making drugs illicit can cause.

Fixed.

chewy14 9:48 am 12 Apr 13

““It’s disturbing that people continue to take these substances, and they have no idea the kinds of poisons they contain,” said Dr Robertson.”

The perfect reason why the government should be selling these drugs legally and keeping quality controls on the substances people are ingesting.

HardBallGets 9:32 am 12 Apr 13

It doesn’t help when the Health Department’s warning messages are inaccurate and contradictory.
Yesterday they said the two men mistakenly believed they had bought ‘MDMA aka speed’. Today they’re saying the two men mistakenly believed they had bought ‘ecstasy’.

For the freaks and ravers playing at home, access to correct and timely information about what’s being sold and what the dangers are is important. You’d reckon the Health Department would know the difference between MDMA and MDA.

Of course in countries enlightened enough to allow pill testing in clubs and at events, people have the opportunity to check what’s in their pills before they consume them. And before people wet their pants about ‘giving up, condoning drug use, blaa blaa blaa’, pill testing does not condone drug use. It responds to the reality of drug use: that drug use is common and carries an inherant risk that can be mitigated by access to good information.

PBO 9:21 am 12 Apr 13

Seems a bit didgy to me, Ketamine is a very hard drug to overdose on and is undetectable in the body after 5-6 hours. Sounds like they may have taken Lethabarb instead.

Related Articles

CBR Tweets

Sign up to our newsletter

Top
Copyright © 2017 Riot ACT Holdings Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.
www.the-riotact.com | www.b2bmagazine.com.au | www.thisiscanberra.com

Search across the site