Are you or a family member looking to transition into an aged care home in the Canberra region? You landed in the right place.
We understand that finding an aged care home that’s clean, comfortable, secure, and meets your unique needs is no easy feat. And, with so many wonderful facilities scattered throughout the Canberra region, narrowing down your top picks can be challenging.
That’s why we have conducted a little research of our own to come up with three recommendations. Keep reading to find out more.
What Makes a Top-Quality Aged Care Home?
We have all heard horror stories about aged care homes. That’s why it is vital to keep an eye out for the following traits to make sure you’re looking at a quality aged care centre. Find these characteristics, and you’ve found a facility that is equipped and willing to treat you or your relative with respect.
- Security. Are the individual rooms secure? If there are outdoor areas, are these secure too? Unfortunately, aged care homes can be targeted by thieves and other petty criminals. Finding a home with state-of-the-art security is essential.
- Committed staff. The team at an aged care home fulfil an incredible duty to the older and wiser members of our community. Look for staff members that are 100 percent committed to the health and well-being of the individuals in their care.
- Activities and wellness programs. Retirement is a time to be enjoyed. The very best aged care homes organise events and offer a wellness program to keep bodies and minds healthy.
- Community spirit. An aged car facility shouldn’t feel like a prison. Instead, it should boast an uplifting and inclusive community spirit.
- Comfortable facilities. This goes without saying: the facility itself should be clean, comfortable, and homely.
- Specialist staff members and/or equipment. Depending on you or your relative’s specific needs, you may need an aged care home with specialist staff members, equipment, or facilities.
Canberra’s Best Age Care Homes
Here are three fantastic aged care homes in the Canberra region. This is by no means a conclusive list; shop around to discover a facility that caters to your need and wants.
RSL LifeCare facilities are some of the most popular aged care homes across Australia. Fred Ward Garden is a vibrant community of 112 seniors seeking either low or high levels of care.
This aged care home is designed for those that require medical, rehabilitative, and restorative care. Medical staff and assistants monitor the premises 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Specialists in dementia care, as well as dementia-friendly accommodation, are available.
Each resident has their own private room with en-suite bathroom. Community spaces come alive with daily activities, dining, and socials.
Dotted among the lush gardens of South Bruce Calvary Haydon Retirement Community are a range of residential care and independent living solutions.
Positioned minutes from a large shopping centre, a major local hospital, and public transport, residents of Calvary Haydon Village enjoy a fulfilling, secure, and relaxed lifestyle.
The community is home to many facilities, including an auditorium, hairdresser, billiards room, computer area, barbeque area, and stunning landscaped gardens.
Goodwin House is a person-centred aged care home, meaning they treat each individual with respect. They pay special attention to residents’ emotional, mental, and medical well-being.
This superb centre offers 24-hour on-site nurses, plus a variety of clinical care services, such as private nurse consultations led by a geriatrician.
Residents enjoy daily wellness and exercise sessions, as well as regular activities, events, and outings.
Your Experience with Aged Care Homes in Canberra
Have you had experience with an aged care home in Canberra? Share your feedback in the comments area below.