“This is hell for us”: Frankie Prineas’ murderer can walk free after 10 years in jail

Albert McKnight 2 June 2021 3
Frankie Prineas

Frankie Prineas has been described as a man with a “cheeky smile” who would “light up the room”. Photo: Supplied.

Jayscen Anthony Newby laughed when his mother told him details about his murder of Frankie Prineas when they were reported by the ABC.

“Why are you laughing?” his shocked mother asked over the phone.

“Because it’s hilarious,” Newby replied.

The ACT Supreme Court heard parts of the January 2020 phone call between the two on Wednesday (2 June) before Newby was sentenced for murdering the 27-year-old much-loved family man last year.

But the outcome of the case has stunned his family, who have been left reeling after learning Newby could be released from jail in nine years.

Agreed court documents reveal Newby used to have a romantic interest in a woman, which was no longer reciprocated.

The woman, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, matched with Frankie on Tinder and they messaged each other for several months.

At about 1:00 am on 11 January 2020, Newby took a taxi to the street in Belconnen where the woman lived.

The woman had invited Frankie over that night and they were in bed when, unknown to them, Newby let himself into her house.

He heard the woman and Frankie in the bedroom. Newby took a knife with a 25 cm blade from the kitchen, went into their room and turned the light on.

Frankie stood up to face Newby, but before he or the woman did anything, Newby began to stab him, cutting him multiple times while never saying a word.


READ MORE: Family describes pain of losing their beloved Frankie at the hands of a ‘coward’


“[It was] a sustained attack with a knife on an unarmed victim that resulted in 37 injuries,” prosecutor Keegan Lee told the Supreme Court on Wednesday.

He played the Triple Zero phone call the woman had made after Frankie was stabbed, during which she could be heard crying as she attempted to stem the flow of blood from his wounds.

Victor Prineas and Prineas family members

Frankie Prineas’s father Victor and other family members speak outside the ACT Courts on Wednesday after Newby’s sentencing. Photo: Albert McKnight.

“I think he’s dying. Can someone please come?” she pleaded to the Triple Zero operator.

“I don’t know what to do.”

Justice Helen Murrell said after Newby stabbed Frankie, he left and drove to his mother’s house, where he put his clothes in the washing machine and yelled at his mother to clean up the blood he had spread throughout the home.

The court documents show his mother used Pine O’Cleen wipes to clean the blood while he had a shower.

He then went to his aunt’s house to buy some time before later handing himself into police. Newby has been held in custody since then and eventually pleaded guilty to murder.


READ ALSO: Home invader warned against vigilantism after assaulting victim over perceived crimes


Chief Justice Murrell also read out parts of an email Newby sent to his mother in November 2020 in which he said it was the woman who “set the whole thing up” and that he and Frankie were just “pawns in her game”.

She said Newby’s claim that the woman had provoked him into committing the murder was “outrageous”.

“I can’t see any substantial indication of remorse,” she had told Mr Lee earlier.

Chief Justice Murrell did say Newby, 27, had a hard upbringing, including being raised around controlling and violent men and was socially isolated as a child.

Jayscen Anthony Newby

Jayscen Anthony Newby pleaded guilty to murder. Photo: Instagram.

She jailed him for 20 years with a 10-year non-parole period, meaning he could be released in January 2030.

The court’s gallery was packed with Frankie’s family and supporters, and after Newby was sentenced, they began to clap.

“Have a good life,” one called out as Newby was led back to jail by corrective services officers.

After the sentencing, Frankie’s father, Victor Prineas, told journalists outside the court he was completely shocked at the sentence.

“We knew we weren’t going to get justice. We knew it wasn’t going to be great, but we didn’t expect it to be so bad,” he said.

“It boils down to in nine years he’ll be out; in nine years he’ll be back into our community, and hopefully, with a bit of luck, he won’t do the same thing he did to my son.

“He’s lost 10 years of his life. My son has lost 60 years of his life. I can’t understand it. I can’t work it out. We’re all in total dismay, total shock.”

Victor hoped no parent had to go through what his family had gone through.

“If you want to go to hell, this is hell for us. That’s plain and simple,” he said.

“And it will be hell for us for the rest of our lives.”


What's Your Opinion?


Please login to post your comments, or connect with
3 Responses to “This is hell for us”: Frankie Prineas’ murderer can walk free after 10 years in jail
Filter
Order
cruizin cruizin 6:35 pm 08 Jun 21

I feel for this family, what an inadequate parole period sentence for that crime. It has to be reviewed. Otherwise, the next case will be the same sentence and another family will have to suffer the same fate.

David Savage David Savage 4:33 pm 03 Jun 21

This sentence makes the ACT Justice system a laughing stock of the country.
RIP Frankie

Scott Abela Scott Abela 7:47 pm 02 Jun 21

how does this even come close to something approaching 10 year minimum..? No remorse, wasn’t invited over, broke in and committed cold blooded murder…

Proportionately you get hit harder for doing 6kms over the speed limit compared to the harm vs the penalty applied here…

The ACT is a joke, time to sack these weak magistrates and have them popularly elected every 4 years based on their record….!!

CBR Tweets

Sign up to our newsletter

 Top
Region Group Pty Ltd

Search across the site