Canberran’s are blessed with some of the best road networks in the world. In saying that, I agree that they are not without issue! But, travel abroad, and you will soon realise that the quality of our road system is far above that of most.
Our roads play an integral role in getting us from point A to point B – quickly and safely. And as more young drivers approach the age of putting the pedal to the proverbial metal, road safety has never been more important.
Young driver road incident statistics are quite sombre. Under 25’s are over-represented in accidents across the board. With the safety of our youngest drivers at risk, the development of driver competencies is key.
While there is always a place for parentally supervised sessions, formal instruction is a great way to achieve this. This is where Canberra’s driving schools can help.
Driving schools offer structured lessons that maximise driving ability, and develop safe road habits. They cover a range of vehicles, from motorcycles and scooters, through to cars, trucks, and buses.
Open to new drivers and those wishing to gain more confidence, driving schools are the perfect place to begin. And, as learning how to drive is a rite of passage for many young Canberrans, this choice must be taken seriously.
Fortunately, we’ve rounded up the best driving schools in the region to help get you on your way.
What makes a great driving school?
Great driving schools understand there is more to driving than merely passing a test. They developing lifelong driving skills, creating future generations of safer drivers. Furthermore, the best are led by seasoned instructors, who get the most out of each and every student. Keep these things in mind while evaluating your next driving school:
- Clear Credentials. When it comes to driver education, establishing the credentials of the school – and instructors is crucial. All driving educators must hold a Certificate IV in Transport and Logistics matched to the appropriate vehicle of instruction. Additionally, instructors must be appropriately licenced with a state issued Driving Instructors Licence. Beyond these credentials a great reputation is key. Seek recommendations from family and friends, and you will soon have a list of the best driving schools around.
- Well-Seasoned Instructors. Anyone who has spent time on the road understands just what experience brings. And the same holds true when choosing a driving school. In fact, the best instructors have seen it all. Their rich and diverse experience behind the wheel, and beside it, is what sets them apart. The best turn the most incapable students into confident and careful drivers.
- Comfortable Connection. The best driving schools are known for the demeanour of their instructors. A good connection between learner and instructor does wonders; particularly in the early stages behind a wheel. Therefore take the time to meet with potential instructors to see how they fit. The best instructors are cool, calm, and collected, allowing students to put their nerves aside and focus on learning.
- Safety First. There is much more to safety than understanding the speed limit. Great driving schools focus on holistic driver safety. They work to combine an understanding of the road rules and hazards with developing driving habits. The best include preventative strategies behind the wheel, giving your new driver invaluable skills.
- Focus on Mastery. Understanding how to drive a car is one thing, mastering advanced techniques is another. While developing driver competency is important, mastery allows drivers to mitigate risks. The best driving schools push students towards mastery, giving them the confidence and skills in the event of emergency.
The best driving schools in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
Since 1983, Apex driving school has helped learners of all ages become confident, safe, and knowledgeable drivers capable of passing their driving test.
All Apex instructors are accredited and experienced and can teach you to drive in your own car, or in one of their dual controlled vehicles. What’s more, Apex now offers Canberra kids the opportunity to practice in a driver training simulator as a part of their Early Driver-Ed Program.
SheepGroper had this to say on RiotACT, “Apex driving school – I started learning in my forties and the instructor was a year younger than I was. With two decades of experience teaching people to drive in Canberra he was excellent both in people skills and with his depth of knowledge.”
Pinnacle Driving School believes in teaching their students how to be safe, responsible, and confident when driving. No matter your driving goals, the certified team at Pinnacle Driving School can help you achieve them.
Whether you’re a semi-experienced driver or have never laid a hand on the wheel, Pinnacle’s lessons will meet your needs. They cater for their students’ specific requirements. They offer manual or automatic training and male or female instructors.
Carlos shared his great experience on Google, “I highly recommend Pinnacle Driving School to everyone looking to learn or improve their driving skills. Throughout the entire process, the staff were very friendly and responsive….”
Road Ready Driving School have built a wonderful reputation in driver education across the local region. With a team of twelve qualified and accredited instructors, they deliver competency based training for both manual and automatic vehicles.
They pride themselves on the quality of their comprehensive lessons designed for new drivers and those wishing to gain greater confidence. Their team created individual programs tailored to the needs of each student, which means you will only pay for what you truly need.
CanBra1 shared this experience on RiotACT, “My daughter just got her P’s through Road Ready Driving School and she said her instructor was very patient and knowledgeable…..All in all I would recommend Road Ready to all Canberra Learner parents. A fantastic experience, both for myself as a concerned parent, and for my daughter who is now a very happy and safe driver!”
The National Driving Academy is home to eight qualified, accredited, and skilled driving instructors. Their motto “Safe driving, for Life” is embedded in the belief that preserving lives on the road stems from safer driving habits.
The National Driving Academy offers lessons at any stage of the licence process, at any age, and any ability level. They are known for catering to first time drivers, mature learners, overseas students, students with special needs, and visitors.
Lucah Conlan had this to say about the academy on Google, “As my instructor, Samson always gave clear and reasonable instructions and after each lesson the feedback was honest and well explained. Taking the competency based route toward getting my license has given me a newfound confidence in my driving and overall it was a highly educational and worthwhile experience.”
As one of the leading driving schools servicing the Gungahlin, Belconnen and City area, Ghatorha Driving School’s mantra is all about producing responsible drivers.
Their friendly and patient team of instructors provide training for new learners, nervous drivers, refreshers, and experienced overseas drivers seeking a local licence. They focus on the use of automatic vehicles to ensure peace of mind for students.
They are known for their provision of comprehensive practical training for safer drivers on our roads.
Kerryn Prasad shared this great review on Google, “My daughter had a fantastic experience learning to drive at the Ghatorha Driving School. Her instructor was punctual, polite and patient. Kulwinder provided simple step-by-step techniques to assist in a range of different scenarios including parallel parking, three point turns and hill starts.”
If you’re looking for automotive services check out our articles on the best mechanics and the best car service centres. To keep your car looking neat and tidy our article on the the best car washes may also be of interest.
Your experience with driving schools in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the driving schools listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.