Who doesn’t love Indian food? Vibrant and full of aromatic spices, this deliciously unique cuisine is a firm favourite across the globe.
If you are craving a tasty Indian feast, you’ve landed in the right place. Canberra has its fair share of fantastic Indian restaurants, but we are on a mission to uncover the best of the best.
We asked locals to share their go-to Indian restaurants – and the results are in. So, without further ado, let’s jump right into it. Just get ready to get hungry.
What makes a fantastic Indian restaurant?
Yes, it’s about having incredibly delicious food. But what else separates the average restaurants from the best in the region? Here’s what we think:
- A diverse menu. One of the best things about eating at an Indian restaurant (or ordering take away) is the diversity of dishes on offer. From butter chicken to spicy vindaloo, fragrant dahl to fluffy steamed rice, the best Indian restaurants have it all.
- Special diet options. Indian food is an excellent choice for those with dietary restrictions, especially those following vegetarian or vegan diets. You should be able to find plenty of meat-free and dairy-free options on the menu.
- A lively, comfortable atmosphere. Is there anything worse than sitting awkwardly in a silent, sterile restaurant? Atmosphere plays a huge role in our dining experience, so go for an Indian eatery that’s busy and full of life.
- Friendly staff. No one likes dealing with rude, unreasonable wait staff. The best Indian restaurants are backed by a team of friendly, accommodating staff ready and willing to make your experience the best it can be.
- Well priced. Overpriced food is never good. The best Indian restaurants serve up generous portions for a fair price.
The top Indian restaurants in Canberra according to you
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 19 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
We’ve consulted local feedback, and we are ready to introduce the top Indian restaurants in the region.
If it’s tasty, home-style Indian cooking you want, head to Taj Mahal. Their dedicated team serve up a mouth-watering menu of authentic Indian food, including beef, lamb, chicken, fish, and veggie dishes – all at nearly unbeatable prices.
Ever sampled Indian-Fijian influenced dishes? Head out to Pearce and enjoy a meal at the popular Ramas restaurant. Since 1991, Ramas has delivered a unique menu of tasty dishes to the local community. Explore classics like vegetable samosas and beef Rogan josh, or try something new from their speciality menu. You’ll find wonderful items, like Fijian pork curry.
Experience the vibrant celebration of culture, spices, and flavours that is Binnys Karthitto. This unique eatery brings the street food of Chennai, Cochin, Kolkata, Bombay, and Delhi to the heart of Canberra. You’ll find a vast selection of tapas-style dishes, snacks, and classic plates – whatever you choose, you can’t go wrong.
The passionate team behind Canberra’s Spice Affair Indian Cuisine are dedicated to sharing the unique joys of the 5,000-year-old tradition of Indian cooking with their customers. Offering a warm, welcoming atmosphere, this local hotspot serves up a delectable array of Indian dishes – all of which are preservative-free and utilise the freshest ingredients.
Who did you pick?
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback, if you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Is Indian food one of your favourites? Which is your go-to restaurant? And what’s their best dish on the menu? Share your thoughts in the comments area below.