12 February 2018

Local Sports Wrap 26th and 27th July 2014

| Antony Perry
Start the conversation


The ACT Brumbies’ hopes of reaching a second successive Super Rugby final were dashed when they lost to the New South Wales Waratahs 26-8 on Saturday night.

The Brumbies failed to carry the momentum from last week’s thrilling win over the Chiefs into Saturday’s blockbuster semi-final clash against the Waratahs as they came off second best in the physical encounter at Allianz Stadium.

The ACT side’s attacking spark was absent as the Waratahs scored three tries to one to end the Brumbies’ season and set up a grand final encounter against the Canterbury Crusaders in Sydney next weekend.

Alofa Alofa, Kurtley Beale and Bernard Foley crossed for the Waratahs, and Foley slotted three penalty goals and a conversion for a personal haul of 16 points. Henry Speight claimed the Brumbies’ only try, while Christian Lealiifano managed just one penalty goal during what was a forgettable performance with the boot.

In local John I Dent Cup action, the Queanbeyan Whites shocked minor premiers the Tuggeranong Vikings with a 33-32 victory in Saturday’s major semi-final, while Gungahlin eased past Wests 45-19 in Sunday’s minor semi-final.


The Cooma Tigers continued their recent run of good form in the National Premier League with a routine 3-0 victory over Tuggeranong United at Kambah on Saturday afternoon.

It took Cooma just 10 minutes to hit the lead and it came through captain Goran Josifovski, who powered a shot into the bottom left corner of the Tuggeranong net after combining with Julian Borgna.

Jordan Lando hit Cooma’s second in the 22nd minute, and talisman Robbie Cattanach added the visitor’s third to secure the result and confirm their position at the summit of the competition.

In Sunday’s games, FFA COE brushed aside Canberra FC with a 4-1 win, Woden Valley beat Canberra Olympic 2-1, and Belconnen United eased past Canberra City 4-0 to stay in touch with Cooma in the premiership race.


Queanbeyan Kangaroos coach Aaron Gorrell enjoyed a successful return to the field as his side overcame the Tuggeranong Bushrangers 40-20 on Saturday.

Gorrell played the last 30 minutes in what was his first match since retiring early last season after sustaining a second serious knee injury.

The Kangaroos jumped out to a 22-0 lead by half-time, but allowed Tuggeranong back into the game in the second-half. The Bushrangers scored three quick tries after the break to make the score line 28-20 with 13 minutes remaining, but the Kangaroos scored two late tries to seal the result.

Ratu Tagive scored a double for the Kangaroos and Robbie Byatt, Daniel Watt, Troy Whiley, Luke Jones and Jordan Macey all grabbed one try each, with Macey kicking six conversions. Adam Raptis, Alex Tuolo, Reinhold Kamilo, Brent Wallace tries all crossed for Tuggeranong.

In Saturday’s other Canberra Raiders Cup action, Queanbeyan Blues beat Gungahlin 26-10, while Belconnen Scholars claimed a 32-26 victory over Woden Valley Rams. In Sunday’s game, Goulburn Workers Bulldogs overcame West Belconnen 28-16.


A powerful first quarter display by Queanbeyan Tigers set up a convincing 61-point win over Eastlake in the NEAFL on Saturday.

Queanbeyan kicked eight goals to one in the first term to take a 47-point lead into quarter time, and while Eastlake was competitive in the next three quarters, the damage had well and truly been done.

Andrew Swan (six goals) and Brett Freund (five goals) led the Tigers’ attack with conviction in the 20.13 (133) to 11.6 (72) victory. Chad Gibson was Eastlake’s best with six goals.

In other NEAFL action, the Belconnen Magpies were dealt a heavy 23.13 (151)-14.10 (94) defeat by Sydney University on Sunday.


The Canberra Gunners’ hopes of making the SEABL finals are all but over are losing back-to-back road games in Tasmania over the weekend.

The Gunners, looking to bounce back from last week’s heavy defeat to Frankston, went down 85-69 to Hobart and 104-80 to North West Tasmania. US import Garlon Green was the standout for the Gunners in both games, racking up 24 points against Hobart and 27 against North-West Tasmania.

In the women’s matches, Canberra Capitals Academy fell to Hobart 80-58 and 80-61 against North-West Tasmania. Ellie Junod was the Academy’s best, scoring 13 points against Hobart and 16 against North-West Tasmania.


The CBR Brave claimed a 3-1 victory over Perth Thunder in Perth on Saturday afternoon.

Anton Kokkonen gave the Brave the lead inside the first minute of the game, however the celebrations were short lived as Andrew Cox equalised for the Thunder almost immediately after the resumption of play.

Neither side found the back of the net in the second period, but third period goals from Mathieu Ouellette and Kokkonen secured the 3-1 result for the Canberra side.

In Sunday’s game, a Corey Wilkie double helped the Brave to a 5-3 win over the Thunder.

Start the conversation

Daily Digest

Want the best Canberra news delivered daily? Every day we package the most popular Riotact stories and send them straight to your inbox. Sign-up now for trusted local news that will never be behind a paywall.

By submitting your email address you are agreeing to Region Group's terms and conditions and privacy policy.