Is living at home no longer an option for you or a loved one due to the challenges of old age? We all know that finding a comfortable and high-quality residential care home can be a challenging and stressful time for families.
The later years of life should be enjoyed to the fullest, and a top-quality residential aged care facility (often referred to as a nursing home) can provide the support needed to help make that happen.
Offering stylish residences, state-of-the-art facilities, and an experienced team of allied health professionals, the best residential care in Canberra gives you or a family member access to the support they need, when they need it.
Choosing a nursing home can often be a rushed decision that happens as a result of an unfortunate event, and it can be difficult to ask people for advice. That’s why we’ve asked Canberra locals to share their experiences with nursing homes in the region.
After reviewing the feedback, we’ve put together this list of the top residential care facilities in Canberra. Let’s get started.
What makes a great residential aged care home?
When choosing a residential aged care home, it can help to keep an eye out for the following traits:
- Comfortable, homely residences. An aged care home is exactly that – a home. The facility you decide on should be warm, welcoming, and clean. Make sure the room comes with everything you need. You should be able to make it your own through decorations, and there should be enough space for your belongings. Look for well-maintained gardens and inviting shared spaces.
- Access to professionals you need. If you or your family member requires medical support, ensure your care home has the professionals you need. Clinical care can vary, so be on the lookout for high quality clinical care and a range of allied health staff.
- Well-trained and responsive staff. Ask what sort of training carers receive. If they’re not receiving ongoing professional development, look elsewhere. In an aged care environment, residents are equipped with buzzers that call the attention of carers and nurses. Ask what the typical response time is, and make sure you or your loved one won’t be left waiting – especially at night.
- Fully customisable support. No two residents are the same. The best residential care homes offer tailored support that meets the individual needs of each person.
- Planned activities and entertainment. You should expect your residential care facility to provide activities to help mobility and cognitive function. Exercise, games, and regular and varied activities are important. Make sure activities are run by someone who’s been trained specifically for the role. And check to see what sort of entertainment is provided.
- Good food. We all know that good food is vital for a good life. Ask your care home how they approach food and ask to see a menu. Bonus points if they have a dietician.
- Accreditation record. Each residential care facility undergoes a strict accreditation process. Enquire as to how the facility has faired in their most recent assessment. Were they provided with any recommendations of where they could improve?
The top residential aged care providers in Canberra according to you
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 19 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
With more than 65 years’ experience providing aged care services, Goodwin offers the highest standard of aged care for individuals in their later years.
Goodwin’s residential care facilities are industry-leading in quality of care, comfort, and attention to detail, which has seen Goodwin receive multiple awards for architectural and clinical excellence.
Goodwin has also received national praise as the first aged care provider to employ a full-time on-site pharmacist. This initiative is part of Goodwin’s commitment to innovation and continual improvement, resulting in higher quality of care and peace-of-mind for residents and families.
Through open and honest communication, Goodwin ensures services are specifically tailored to each individual. Understanding resident’s preferences and interests influences activities and entertainment, dining menus, and of course, clinical care plans.
Meals are prepared fresh, on-site by professional chefs using quality ingredients, with menus reviewed by residents and Goodwin’s dietician to ensure they are balanced as well as delicious.
Most importantly, Goodwin’s staff are warm, caring, and qualified with a strong commitment to ongoing training. Residents have access to high-quality nursing support 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Residents also have access to a skilled team of doctors, physiotherapists, dietitians, and other allied health professionals.
The friendly, experienced team at Goodwin attend to their residents’ needs so they can enjoy their lives to the fullest.
Conveniently located in a quiet Garran cul-de-sac, Southern Cross Care Ozanam is a premium aged care facility. It offers private suites with hillside, city or garden views, 24/7 care and a comprehensive range of health and support services.
At Ozanam, you’ll have the care and peace of mind you deserve.
If you or a loved one needs medical/rehabilitative or restorative care, Fred Ward Gardens (formerly Brindabella Gardens) in Curtin could be for you. It is a living community for 115 seniors who seek residential care. Both high and low care requirements are catered to.
Google reviewer Bonny praised Fred Ward Gardens’ staff and interior: “Friendly, caring staff & lovely rooms,” she said.
Uniting Mirinjani in Weston’s residential aged care service provides nurturing and supportive care that is tailored to your needs. Its rooms offer all the comforts of home you’d expect, with options to suit your needs and budget.
Google Reviewer Kelly Ann said: “Very nice place and people get treated really well.”
Mountain View Aged Care Centre in Narrabundah is a warm and inviting aged care centre that offers all levels of care including short term respite care. Operated by The Salvation Army, it offers single bedrooms with private ensuites.
Mountain View Aged Care Centre has adopted a person-centred model of care, which means its friendly and qualified staff spend time getting to know residents one-on-one.
Who did you choose?
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you or a family member had experience with a residential aged care facility in the Canberra region? Share your experience in the comments area below.