The teenager accused of being behind the wheel in the crash that killed two girls aged 15 and 14 earlier this month has pleaded guilty to causing their deaths.
Police have previously said they believed the girls had been in the car for several hours before emergency services arrived at the “horrific and graphic” scene of the Monaro Highway crash just after 8 am on 9 October 2022.
A 16-year-old boy was arrested over the incident and pleaded guilty to two counts of culpable driving causing death in the ACT Children’s Court on Monday (31 October).
He also pleaded guilty to a charge of driving as an unaccompanied learner driver.
The boy, who appeared over audio-visual link, said “guilty” when each charge was read out and was supported in court by members of his family.
Magistrate Jane Campbell adjourned the case to December 2022 to decide whether it should be committed to the Supreme Court or remain in the Children’s Court.
As the boy, who is under 18 and is legally unable to be identified, made no bail application when he was first arrested, he is being held in custody.
Previously, ACT Policing said emergency services were called to a single-vehicle crash on the northbound lanes of the Monaro Highway at Hume at about 8:10 am on 9 October.
They found a sedan had crashed through a row of temporary fencing and then into a tree. The two girls were found in the vehicle and were declared dead at the scene. It was unclear at what time the crash occurred.
Police began their inquiries and spoke to two teens at their homes a short time later.