Looking to join a golf club in the Canberra region? Or maybe you’re planning a once-off day on the green. Either way, you are spoilt for choice.
Canberra is home to a number of world-class golf courses, all surrounded by rolling green hills and lush scenery. Most cater to both club members and guests, so committed golfers and total newbies will feel at home.
We’ve done our homework and come up with a list of the best three golf courses in Canberra. Without further ado, here they are.
What makes a superior golf course?
Not sure what you want in a golf course? No worries. Here are a few traits we suggest keeping an eye out for.
- An excellent course. First and foremost, the course itself should be top-quality and well maintained with a variety of challenges so you can improve your game.
- A scenic backdrop. A day on the golf course can be incredibly relaxing, due in part to the scenic backdrop.
- Gear hire. You may not own all the gear necessary to play a round or two of golf. The best golf clubs offer quality gear hire at a fair price.
- A welcoming attitude. If you’re new to the sport, you should feel welcomed. There’s nothing worse than a club that boasts an uptight, pros-only attitude.
- Other facilities. You’ll probably work up quite an appetite after your game. The best golf courses have a golf club restaurant and other facilities to make your day out as comfortable as possible.
The top golf clubs in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 19 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and maintain a minimum average of 4/5 stars on both Google and Facebook reviews.
Here are the top golf courses in the Canberra region – these excellent courses will not disappoint.
Touted as one of the most beautiful courses in Australia, the Royal Canberra Golf Club is simply spectacular. Established a stone’s throw from the city centre in 1913, this historic club is home to a world-class golf course, a clubhouse with a restaurant and function rooms fit for both conferences and weddings.
The Federal Golf Club boasts an 18-hole championship course with expertly-maintained Santa Ana couch fairways, quality grass greens, and well-placed bunkers. Set among lush bushland, players enjoy picture perfect panoramic views from every hole. After the game, check out the welcoming clubhouse for a drink or bite to eat.
Capital Public Golf Course is another impeccable golf course in the region. This course offers a few wonderfully challenging pine tree-lined fairways that’ll bring out the best in even the most skilled players. Known as ‘the friendly club,’ there’s no doubt that Capital Public Golf Course is one of the top courses in the region.
Your favourite golf course in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback, if you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Where do you play golf? We’d love to hear your feedback. Share your experience in the comments area below for our readers to check out.