Whether for health, ethical, or medical reasons, more and more people are choosing to remove meat and dairy from their diets. While this might sound incredibly limiting, vegan dishes can be just as delicious as their meat-and-dairy-filled counterparts.
If you’re on the lookout for a tasty and exciting vegan restaurant in Canberra, you’ve landed in the right place. We’ve consulted with locals and have scoured reviews to put together this list of the top vegan eats in the Canberra region.
Let’s get right into it.
What Makes a Great Vegan Restaurant?
The best vegan restaurants in Canberra please the health-conscious and meat-eaters alike. But, how can you differentiate the best from the average? Keep an eye out for the following must-have traits.
- An innovative menu. If you’re looking for a vegan-friendly restaurant that will not only deliver a tasty, cruelty-free meal, but also convert your meat-loving friends, look for a place with an innovative menu. The best vegan chefs are happy to experiment with flavours and textures, and can transform the humble vegetable into something truly extraordinary.
- A variety of foods. Everyone has their own personal tastes, meaning some foods are simply off the menu. Look for a vegan restaurant that makes use of a wide variety of ingredients.
- A vibrant atmosphere. No matter how tasty the food, if the restaurant lacks a vibrant atmosphere, your meal can be ruined. The best vegan establishments in Canberra are busy, exciting, and full of life.
- Friendly, knowledgeable staff. Got questions about the menu? Have a special request? You should feel comfortable asking a restaurant’s staff.
- Fairly priced. Vegans don’t want to overpay either. The best meat-free eateries in Canberra charge a fair price for their fare.
The Top Vegan Restaurants in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 19 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and maintain a minimum average of 4/5 stars on both Google and Facebook reviews.
Ready to try out Canberra’s best vegan dining spots? Each of these offer a vegan-friendly menu and a great atmosphere.
Situated between Kingston and Manuka and tucked away in the stylish East Hotel, Muse is a stunning fine-dining restaurant, all-day eatery, and meeting place for creative minds.
The menu caters to both vegans and carnivores alike, with a range of breakfast, lunch, and dinner options. Alongside their inspiring menu, discover an award-winning, all-Australian drinks list.
Come for an early bite, a casual mid-day feast, an indulgent dinner, or late-night drink. Plus, enjoy a packed calendar of events, which bring together Australia’s leading thinkers, artists, winemakers, writers, and politicians. Muse truly has it all.
Located in Braddon, Sweet Bones is an all-vegan cafe and bakery. Serving up some seriously tempting treats, Sweet Bones boasts a rustic, rock’n’roll vibe, complete with friendly, laid-back staff.
Experience an inventive, cruelty-free menu, which includes things like peanut butter cups, cheesecake, assorted cookies, pretzels, and more. As much as possible, the chefs and bakers at Sweet Bones source local and organic ingredients. And, the majority of menu items can be made gluten-free.
For vegan food that tastes like the real thing head to Kingsland Restaurant. With an Asian-inspired menu, Kingsland uses tasty mock meat to create delicious spring rolls, stir-fries, and more. Although the menu says ‘chicken’ or ‘beef’, all ‘meat’ is completely natural and cruelty-free. None of Kingsland’s ingredients come from an animal.
A great place to bring your meat-loving friends, Kingsland restaurant will please even the fussiest of eaters.
Who did you pick?
Thanks to our commentators who have provided insightful feedback on the best and worst Canberra Vegan Restaurants.
If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Please comment below detailing your experience with Canberra based Vegan Restaurants? Who would you recommend? Who would you use again? Who would you steer clear of?