Whether for health, ethical, or medical reasons, more and more people are choosing to remove meat and dairy from their diets. While this might sound incredibly limiting, vegan dishes can be just as delicious as their meat-and-dairy-filled counterparts.
If you’re on the lookout for a tasty and exciting vegan restaurant in Canberra, you’ve landed in the right place. We’ve consulted with locals and have scoured reviews to put together this list of the top vegan eats in the Canberra region.
Let’s get right into it.
What Makes a Great Vegan Restaurant?
The best vegan restaurants in Canberra please the health-conscious and meat-eaters alike. But, how can you differentiate the best from the average? Keep an eye out for the following must-have traits.
- An innovative menu. If you’re looking for a vegan-friendly restaurant that will not only deliver a tasty, cruelty-free meal, but also convert your meat-loving friends, look for a place with an innovative menu. The best vegan chefs are happy to experiment with flavours and textures, and can transform the humble vegetable into something truly extraordinary.
- A variety of foods. Everyone has their own personal tastes, meaning some foods are simply off the menu. Look for a vegan restaurant that makes use of a wide variety of ingredients.
- A vibrant atmosphere. No matter how tasty the food, if the restaurant lacks a vibrant atmosphere, your meal can be ruined. The best vegan establishments in Canberra are busy, exciting, and full of life.
- Friendly, knowledgeable staff. Got questions about the menu? Have a special request? You should feel comfortable asking a restaurant’s staff.
- Fairly priced. Vegans don’t want to overpay either. The best meat-free eateries in Canberra charge a fair price for their fare.
The Top 5 Canberra Vegan Restaurants According to You
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 19 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and maintain a minimum average of 4/5 stars on both Google and Facebook reviews.
Ready to try out Canberra’s best vegan dining spots? Each of these offer a vegan-friendly menu and a great atmosphere.
Great quality Italian restaurant that serves traditional and vegan friendly food. The casual atmosphere is comfortable and the service is friendly. Perfect place for a summer night or a cheeky weekend warmer. The manager, Jon is friendly and attentive which means a well received return visit. TripAdvisor reviewer Lynnbb2017 says: ‘This has to be one of Canberra’s best Italian eateries! Well priced, great menu and friendly, professional staff.’
For 25 years Serif Kaya has been producing quality Turkish food at Ottoman. Beautifully situated in Barton, the restaurant grounds are surrounded by gardens and the elegant dining rooms are warm and inviting. The homemade dips are definitely a favourite among regulars with vegan options available. Google reviewer Glen says: ‘Quality modern Turkish food. Location is superb. Really loved the cuisine. Calm ambiance. Delightful.’
This restaurant chain has hot the ACT with a great menu that includes vegan, vegetarian and a kids selection. Serving traditional street food inspired by the street food vendors in Thailand with fresh ingredients and lots of spice! Google Reviewer Selena says: ‘Service was ridiculously fast even though they were very busy and All dishes were delicious.’
Traditional Cantonese cuisine that is modern yet has a home-cooked-by-your-Grandma kind of feel. The manager Adrian is accommodating for those with food allergies and will happily point out vegetarian and vegan options available. Google reviewer Bec says: ‘Lovely Deco! Reasonably priced food, a nice place to go with loved ones and colleagues.’
Modern Japanese cuisine created by Head Chef Hao San in the open plan kitchen that serves as an amphitheater- like setting for dinners. With a great bar and drinks selection that includes, Japanese beer sake and whiskey as well as vegetarian and vegan menu options. Facebook reviewer Laura Le says: ‘Raku is a breath of fresh air in the Canberra restaurant scene. Impeccable attention to detail, a unique and perfectly executed menu.’
Who did you pick?
Thanks to our commentators who have provided insightful feedback on the best and worst Canberra vegan restaurants.
If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Please comment below detailing your experience with Canberra based vegan restaurants? Who would you recommend? Who would you use again? Who would you steer clear of?