Whether for health, ethical, or medical reasons, more and more people are choosing to remove meat and dairy from their diets. While this might sound incredibly limiting, vegan dishes can be just as delicious as their meat-and-dairy-filled counterparts.
If you’re on the lookout for a tasty and exciting vegan restaurant in Canberra, you’ve landed in the right place. We’ve consulted with locals and have scoured reviews to put together this list of the top vegan eats in the Canberra region.
Let’s get right into it.
What Makes a Great Vegan Restaurant?
The best vegan restaurants in Canberra please the health-conscious and meat-eaters alike. But, how can you differentiate the best from the average? Keep an eye out for the following must-have traits.
- An innovative menu. If you’re looking for a vegan-friendly restaurant that will not only deliver a tasty, cruelty-free meal, but also convert your meat-loving friends, look for a place with an innovative menu. The best vegan chefs are happy to experiment with flavours and textures, and can transform the humble vegetable into something truly extraordinary.
- A variety of foods. Everyone has their own personal tastes, meaning some foods are simply off the menu. Look for a vegan restaurant that makes use of a wide variety of ingredients.
- A vibrant atmosphere. No matter how tasty the food, if the restaurant lacks a vibrant atmosphere, your meal can be ruined. The best vegan establishments in Canberra are busy, exciting, and full of life.
- Friendly, knowledgeable staff. Got questions about the menu? Have a special request? You should feel comfortable asking a restaurant’s staff.
- Fairly priced. Vegans don’t want to overpay either. The best meat-free eateries in Canberra charge a fair price for their fare.
The Top 5 Canberra Vegan Restaurants According to You
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 19 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and maintain a minimum average of 4/5 stars on both Google and Facebook reviews.
Ready to try out Canberra’s best vegan dining spots? Each of these offer a vegan-friendly menu and a great atmosphere.
With an online app it’s easy to order and earn loyalty points with their great vegan menu. Best of all Brendan and his team will deliver to your door. Google reviewer Dannehbe says: ‘Best vegan selection of mock fish in Canberra. Amazing service, delicious food, and of course, a whole menu of food that no one died for.’
With his very own farm, Peter Harrington creates high quality food with locally sourced produce. The 10-course degustation and a beautiful truffle menu is thoughtfully designed by head chef Thomas Heinrich. Facebook reviewer Halycon says: ‘Some of the most beautifully prepared food I ever had the pleasure to eat.’
Sisters, Daya and Mini, have been serving amazing Vegan Fiji Indian cuisine for 27 years. This family owned restaurant loves to host family celebrations, birthdays and casual fuss free date nights. It’s all about flavour, good company and friendly service. Google reviewer Lee Len’s says: ‘The food is consistently delicious, the service is consistently exceptional I wish there were more stars to rate them with!’
Husband and wife team Emily and Russell open this Vegan Cafe in 2011 focusing on locally sourced cruelty free produce that’s innovative! The serve Red Brick Espresso coffee which is also a local brand and if you get upset about the 10% surcharge know that it goes to their staff and not their own hip pocket. Google reviewer Ashleigh says: ‘My absolute favourite treat spot in Canberra. The cheesecakes are incredible and the savoury menu is amazing too!’
Since 2012 Siva has been serving up vegan Malaysian food for those who want to dine in or take away. Authentic Malay cuisine that has attracted an almost cult following among Canberran’s. Catering for function and events they can tailor a menu to suit your needs. Facebook reviewer Helen says: ‘The food was superb and the service was tip top!’
Who did you pick?
Thanks to our commentators who have provided insightful feedback on the best and worst Canberra vegan restaurants.
If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Please comment below detailing your experience with Canberra based vegan restaurants? Who would you recommend? Who would you use again? Who would you steer clear of?