8 December 2021

ACT records one death and eight new cases of COVID-19

| Lottie Twyford
Join the conversation
3
Queue at testing facility

Long testing queues were recorded at the EPIC testing site yesterday (pictured). Photo: Madeleine Mackenzie.

A man in his 80s has become the 12th person to die in the ACT’s most recent COVID-19 outbreak as the Territory recorded eight new cases of the virus in the last reporting period to 8 pm last night.

ACT Health has advised that the man was receiving intensive care in hospital and had underlying health conditions.

With the new cases, there are now 79 active cases in the Territory. As at 8 pm last night, 1675 negative test results were returned.

Of the Territory’s 12-plus population, 98.1 per cent are now fully vaccinated.

There are a total of four active and cleared cases in ACT hospitals as of 8 pm yesterday, including two in intensive care. None are on a ventilator.

Yesterday, the ACT recorded three new cases of COVID-19, but only one was locally acquired.

Across the Territory, Minister for Health Rachel Stephen-Smith said more than 800 people are in quarantine.

This includes the 180 Omicron close contacts – and their household contacts – after a positive case of the variant attended Lyneham Primary School last week.

READ ALSO Underwhelming police response times a symptom of officer shortage says AFPA

A total of 36 school campuses have been impacted by COVID-19 since all students returned to school earlier this term.

No new schools have been listed today on the ACT Government’s COVID-19 website.

New COVID-19 exposure locations identified overnight included cafes, restaurants and retail businesses. All were classified as casual exposure locations.

On Saturday, 4 December, YumCha in the CBD is listed as an exposure location between 7:30 pm and 8:30 pm, as is Spendless Shoes in Woden between 2:45 pm and 5:45 pm.

The same shoe shop is listed on Sunday between 10 am and 1 pm. RYE Cafe and Bar in Braddon is also a casual contact exposure site from 2 pm to 3 pm on the same day.

READ ALSO Probing the polls: COVID-19 tests and voting rights for under-18s

Today in NSW, there are 403 new cases and two deaths.

There are 151 people in hospitals across the state with the virus and 25 in ICU.

NSW Health said 94.7 per cent of the 16-plus population has received their first dose, and 92.9 per cent has had two doses.

Health authorities in the state are conducting urgent genomic sequencing to determine if five cases of COVID-19 linked to a boat party on Sydney Harbour are the Omicron variant.

The 140 people who attended the party are being contacted.

In Victoria, there are 1312 new cases and five deaths.

There are 303 Victorians hospitalised with COVID-19, and more than 91 per cent of the state’s eligible population (12 and over) is fully vaccinated.

Across the entire state, there are 11,331 active cases of the virus.

More to come.

Join the conversation

3
All Comments
  • All Comments
  • Website Comments
Latest

At 98.1 %, we are probably one of the highest double-vaxed jurisdictions in the world and this buys us some protection. However, it is important to understand the new variant and what that might bring.

I’m supportive of the decision to open up and relax the restrictions but believe masks should be worn in high density locations like shopping centres and Bunnings etc.

Sadly, we have just lost an older gentleman to Covid. I find it a bit upsetting that his passing has been reported as him having other underlying health conditions. It undermines the significance of his death.

Some family is going to be without dad and grandpa this Christmas.

I’m going to continue wearing masks. If a mask can save one person from contracting Covid, the inconvenience of wearing a mask is absolutely worth it.

Capital Retro5:12 pm 08 Dec 21

Letters are now being received from the Australian Government urging people to get a COVID 19 vaccine booster. It’s hard to gauge where all this is going but I agree with your decision to continue wearing a mask. I got a rude surprise when I went to Queanbeyan last week and I was denied entry to a store because wearing masks there is still mandatory.

It is disturbing to hear that in response to omicron, there is consideration being given to restrictions coming back. That talk must be squashed immediately! There must be no more lockdowns or restrictions.

After the last lockdown it was agreed that we have to do learn to live alongside Covid, that the knee-jerk reaction of calling a lockdown if there are a few cases must end. We are over lockdowns. We have to live our lives as normally as we possibly can.

Daily Digest

Want the best Canberra news delivered daily? Every day we package the most popular Riotact stories and send them straight to your inbox. Sign-up now for trusted local news that will never be behind a paywall.

By submitting your email address you are agreeing to Region Group's terms and conditions and privacy policy.