13 December 2022

Argument over customer's order allegedly led to Orient Kitchen knife attack

| Albert McKnight
Start the conversation

Fu Shuang Lo, 60, of Florey, leaves court on Tuesday after being granted bail. Photo: Albert McKnight.

A man accused of using a knife to repeatedly slash his co-worker at Orient Kitchen after they started arguing over a customer’s order has been granted bail.

Fu Shuang Lo and the complainant had already been clashing for a while over how orders were put onto the Weston restaurant’s docket system before this last order came through to the kitchen around midday on Monday morning (12 December), court documents allege.

The pair allegedly got into a heated argument before Mr Lo started punching the complainant in the face and then picked up a 30 cm stainless steel knife.

The complainant tried to escape the kitchen, but Mr Lo allegedly slashed him in the back and hand. They are alleged to have gotten into a struggle, during which Mr Lo used a stainless steel container holding knives, forks and spoons to hit him in the head at least three times.

As they rushed through the kitchen doors into the dining area, Mr Lo allegedly bit the complainant on the arm.

READ ALSO Don’t fall victim to thieves when selling online this Christmas, warns ACT Policing

A waitress told police she had heard screaming from the kitchen before the doors to the dining room swung open. She allegedly saw the complainant covered in blood and holding a meat cleaver while Mr Lo was holding his alleged victim and trying to stop him moving the cleaver.

“A number of customers who were seated in the dining room at the time ran out of the restaurant after seeing [the complainant] covered in blood,” the documents allege.

The pair went back into the kitchen before it is alleged Mr Lo reappeared in the dining area, put two meat cleavers on a table, took a tissue from the counter and left.

Mr Lo was arrested later that day and appeared in the ACT Magistrates Court on Tuesday (13 December) where he was formally handed a charge of recklessly inflicting grievous bodily harm. No plea was entered.

The 60-year-old’s lawyer, Steph Corish from Legal Aid, applied for bail, which was opposed by prosecutor Julia Churchill based on the alleged likelihood of interfering with evidence and endangering the safety or welfare of the complainant.

Ms Corish said if granted bail, he would stop working at the Orient Kitchen and would look elsewhere for a job.

READ ALSO Police target impaired motorists as Canberra drink drive cases increase

She noted he returned to the restaurant on Monday when he was asked to do so and argued that the possibility he could interfere with evidence or witnesses was not borne out; in fact, the material suggested he was someone who would be compliant.

The court documents say the complainant had been taken to hospital with cuts to his head, shoulder and hands, as well as a bite to his arm.

While Special Magistrate Margaret Hunter said the documents suggested the alleged offending had been “very serious”, she said the complainant’s wounds were not life-threatening.

She granted bail on a list of conditions, including that he provide a $1000 security, not contact the complainant and not be in the suburb of Weston. The matter was adjourned to 30 January 2023.

Start the conversation

Daily Digest

Want the best Canberra news delivered daily? Every day we package the most popular Riotact stories and send them straight to your inbox. Sign-up now for trusted local news that will never be behind a paywall.

By submitting your email address you are agreeing to Region Group's terms and conditions and privacy policy.