Urban renewal, transport, equality and jobs are on the agenda with new portfolios announced by Chief Minister Andrew Barr this morning.
Barr has taken on the new portfolio of urban renewal, which he says will promote garden suburbs and urban villages, bringing together infrastructure renewal with the promotion of social and cultural activity at a suburban level.
Mick Gentleman will take on the new portfolio of Minister for Roads and Parking, while incoming minister Yvette Berry will be responsible for portfolios including housing, community services, multicultural affairs and women. She will also assist the Chief Minister with social inclusion and equality.
After an embarrassing backflip on poker machine regulation earlier this month, Joy Burch will retain responsibility for education and training, police and emergency services, disability, racing and gaming and the arts.
Weekly NewsletterEvery Thursday afternoon, we package up the most-read and trending RiotACT stories of the past seven days and deliver straight to your inbox..
Barr says that these ministries focus on creating a city that supports jobs.
“It is about working with local communities and business on local renewal projects – such as the shop renewals at Lyons and Scullin and the revitalisation of Farrer, Waramanga, New Acton and Braddon. It is also about an innovative transport system that takes a coordinated approach to buses, light rail, taxis, bicycles and cars. If our city is easier to get around, it is easier to do business,” he said in a statement.
“The Government will take every necessary decision to maintain economic activity, to encourage investment, and above all, to grow jobs.”
The portfolio responsibilities are as follows:
Andrew Barr, Chief Minister
- Minister for Economic Development
- Minister for Urban Renewal
- Minister for Tourism and Events
Simon Corbell, Deputy Chief Minister
- Minister for Health
- Minister for the Environment
- Minister for Capital Metro
- Minister for Education and Training
- Minister for Police and Emergency Services
- Minister for Disability
- Minister for Racing and Gaming
- Minister for the Arts
- Minister for Territory and Municipal Services
- Minister for Justice
- Minister for Sport and Recreation
- Minister assisting the Chief Minister on Transport Reform
- Minister for Planning
- Minister for Roads and Parking
- Minister for Workplace Safety and Industrial Relations
- Minister for Children and Young People
- Minister for Ageing
- Minister for Housing
- Minister for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Affairs
- Minister for Community Services
- Minister for Multicultural Affairs
- Minister for Women
- Minister assisting the Chief Minister on Social Inclusion and Equality