With so many variables at play, planning an event can be challenging. Elements involved can include guest lists, venues, sound and lighting, music, catering and floristry. Every detail counts with planning and executing a great event. That’s why many people and businesses work with trusted event planners.
A professional event planner takes the stress out of organising events, large and small. That includes special occasions, launches, openings, celebrations and awards ceremonies. From start to finish, event planners design and run events without a hitch. They strive to exceed guest expectations.
In this article, we’ll outline the qualities to consider when choosing an event planner, and share where to find the best in Canberra.
What makes a great event planner
Choosing a great event planner run events smoothly. They give you confidence that all details will be taken care of. Event planners can also save you time and money.
It can be helpful to keep the following in mind when choosing an event planner.
- Experienced. Experienced event planners have a competitive edge over industry newbies. They have reliable and established contacts and know how to overcome hiccups. They also deliver above and beyond.
- Excellent track record. You’ll want an event planning company with an excellent track record. Check online to see how long they’ve been in business. Check for reviews. Ask for testimonials and referrals. Conduct a background check. These are great ways to gauge experience and reliability.
- Specialist expertise. You may require specialist planning expertise. If, for example, you’re hosting a major conference with hundreds of people, you’ll want a planner who has handled large events. If you’re launching a new product you’ll want one with experience in this area. The same goes for weddings and other specialised events.
- Trusted network. Quality event planners tap into their extensive, trusted networks. This includes the many suppliers and vendors involved. Examples are venue contacts, furniture hire companies, catering companies, lighting and sound experts, and florists.
- Well priced and insured. Event costs can quickly add up. This is why you’ll want a written, detailed quote from your event planner. This quote should itemise costs, including their fees. Also check that your event planner is insured.
The best event planners in Canberra according to you
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
Visabel is a full-service event management company. It has extensive experience in delivering large-scale national festival events, including in the music, lifestyle and food sectors. Services include strategy, marketing, operations and delivery. At Visabel, the team believes events are more than the sum of their parts. They’re memorable experiences. Founded in 2009, Visabel has worked on hundreds of events including, in Canberra, Bubbly Bars and the inaugural Canberra Writers Festival. Clients come from all sectors, both public and private.
Damsel and Sprout Projects has two goals. The first is to make event planning easy. The second is to ensure every event is one to remember. The multi-disciplinary team leaves a lasting impression on guests and audiences with all events they manage. No event is too big or too small.
On Google, Chad Croker wrote, “The best of the best! I’ve worked with a lot of event management teams over the last 10 years and these guys are at the top of the tree.”
Earlybird Events has a small, but highly experienced team of event-management specialists. The team works across all types of events, for both private and public sectors. Events include consumer brand launches, awards nights, gala balls, international conferences, and national music concerts. Earlybird Events understands that no two events are the same and so customise approaches. The team works with a network of established and reliable specialists to execute events.
Danielle Cleary Events is expert in event design management and model hosting. The team creates great ideas and implements with precision. Events are strategic, well-planned and dynamic. They include new collaborations, product launches, fundraisers and building awareness of products or services. They also include intimate cocktail events through to large charity galas.
The team behind Danielle Cleary Events has the creative thinking, expertise and industry contacts to bring ideas to life through compelling events and media campaigns. The team has tertiary qualifications and experience in marketing, public relations, business management and communications.
Danielle Cleary Events covers all aspects of each event—venues, styling, production, staging, theming and catering.
Shane McLennan, AFP Legacy President, wrote about Danielle Cleary Events, “They provide their services for our annual AFP Legacy Black Opal Race Day Marquee and annual charity ball. We were absolutely delighted and thoroughly impressed with the total event management experience.”
Established in 1995, Consec manages meetings, conferences, exhibitions and events—locally, nationally and internationally. A member of the Professional Conference Organisers Association, Consec’s services include venue management, speaker management, audio visual and event production, marketing, communications, sponsorship, and exhibition management.
As Mark Rae wrote on Google, “As Australia’s leading conference support company, EziTag Systems deals with more than 100 conference and event organisers. Our dealings with Claire at Consec demonstrated just how professional they are.”
If you’re looking for more information on event planning, especially if you intend to handle some components yourself, you might like our articles on the best function venues, best florists, best photographers and best kids birthday party venues Canberra has to offer.
Your experience with the best event planners in Canberra?
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback, if you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the event planners listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.