A special occasion calls for a special venue and there’s no shortage of great places to hold your next event in Canberra. It’s one of life’s great pleasures to celebrate milestones, achievements and the love we share with family and friends. Choosing a function venue that’s just right for your event can be daunting, so here are a few tips and suggestions to get you started.
After consulting local knowledge and researching venues in the region, we’ve come up with this list of the top three function venues in Canberra. If you’ve had experience with any of these companies, please share your story below.
What Makes a Great Function Venue?
There’s so much to think about when planning an event. But, if you get the basics right from the start, and enlist professional, reliable help, your special day will be a success. Here are a few things to consider when choosing your function venue.
- Location. Location is usually the first thing you have to decide on when planning your event. It will set the tone for your event, so choose carefully. Do you require a formal space suited to a corporate function, or a relaxed space with a cozy, intimate atmosphere? Consider practical requirements such as accessibility, parking, and amenities. It’s all about making your guests experience as memorable as possible.
- Food and drinks. Let’s be honest, most people get pretty excited about the delicious food and quality drinks that will be served at an event. If the food and drinks will play a starring role in your event, make sure you find out who will be supplying it. Remember to check whether or not the venue caters for special diets. Most venues will have in-house chefs and catering staff.
- Experience and reliability. With practice comes perfection. An experienced and reliable staff – from the manager to the caterers – will help your event run smoothly. From planning ahead of the event to dealing with unforeseen problems on the day, an experienced staff will be able to put your mind at ease, allowing you to relax and enjoy your special occasion.
- Customised experience. Look for a function venue that is flexible. Being able to customise your event to suit your needs and your vision will result in a truly unique experience that people will be talking about for years.
The Top 4 Function Venues in Canberra
After reading through your feedback and conducting some research of our own, here are our top picks for function venues in the Canberra region.
1. Contentious Character
Contentious Character is a cool-climate winery set in the gorgeous rolling hills of Wamboin, 30km east of Canberra. This charming winery boasts distant views of the Snowy Mountains and the chance to spot a kangaroo or two. The restaurant’s experienced and accomplished chef offers traditional Italian and modern Australian cuisine made with fresh regional produce, all served with friendly local service. They have a large, flexible function space that is suited to all functions from corporate events to birthdays and weddings.
2. Pialligo Estate
Planning an upcoming function? There are few more spectacular venues in the Canberra region than the enchanting Pialligo Estate. Tucked away on the breath-taking banks of the Molonglo River, the Pialligo Estate is a multi-purpose venue complete with a scenic olive grove, vineyard, orchard, and fine-dining restaurant.
Whether for 30 guests or 300, planning your next function at Pialligo Estate is a breeze. Choose from three distinct yet charming locations, each with a unique backdrop and delightful atmosphere.
Experience lightness and tranquillity at The Glasshouse. Soak up Canberra’s natural beauty and mild climate in the Garden Pavilions. Or enjoy a casual yet sophisticated event on The Lawns. Whatever you decide, your guests will be inspired by the rolling greenery and rustic class offered by the Pialligo Estate.
The upbeat, experienced staff at the Pialligo Estate want nothing more than for your event to run smoothly. Their team is more than happy to work closely with you to plan the perfect event. From the décor to the food, the drinks and the photographer, they can help your dream become a reality.
Whether a corporate dinner, a 50th birthday bash, or an extra-special wedding, the Pialligo Estate truly is one of Canberra’s best function venues.
3. The Boathouse
The Boathouse is located on the lakeside and is close to the city and the airport. Situated on its own private parklands, it offers a stunning location. With three conference rooms and a gorgeous restaurant, the Boathouse is a great choice for your next event.
4. Gungahlin Lakes Golf Club
Gungahlin Lakes Golf Club is located in Nicholls. Locally known as “The Lakes”, the club spans 70 hectares of parklands with stunning views. Fresh modern interiors and friendly, experienced staff make them well placed to provide everything you need for your next event. The Lakes can cater for small and large groups, design a customised package for you, and provide a unique space to host your event.
Your Experience with Function Venues in Canberra
Have you hosted a function at any of the venues listed above? Share your experience – good or bad – in the comments area below.