Are you looking for a good Canberra hairdresser but don’t know where to start? Here are my recommendations for what to look for when selecting a new salon and stylist:
- Do the staff at the salon all have the same hairstyle? This is not a good sign (unless that’s the exact look you’re going for!).
- Does the person cutting your hair suggest styles that suit your face and body shape, or simply push the latest trend on you?
- Do they ask about your lifestyle? If you want a “wash and wear” style, your stylist should take this into account, and not give you a cut that needs blow drying or straightening every morning.
- If you’ve made an appointment, is your stylist on time or have they tried to squeeze in another customer before your appointment? I’ve heard that some salons don’t allow staff to turn away ANY customers, meaning your appointment could be delayed because of a walk in.
- Do they put more effort into selling extras (including shampoo, conditioners and extra treatments) than they put into providing a good cut or colour?
- Do they frequently change the products they use, and then need to reassess what product works best for each client? This is particularly relevant for colour treatments, and can be a pain if you have already taken the time to find products that work for you.
- If your hairdresser is sick or cannot make an appointment, does the salon give you a call to check whether someone else could do your hair, or just wait till you turn up and assume this will be okay?
- Do they gossip about other clients? Beware – they may talk about you, too!
The Top Four Hair Salons in Canberra
The following businesses are not rated in any particular order, but have been included based on our readers feedback.
Situated at the Kippax shops, Sculptures Canberra is one of the most loved hair salons in the region, complete with stunning décor and an inviting atmosphere. In fact, customers are so devoted, some claim they’d drive all the way from Sydney just to visit Sculptures’ team of stylists.
Modern and vibrant, the incredible staff at Sculptures are passionate about delivering top quality results without charging their clients an arm and a leg. Trained to the highest possible calibre, the stylists are equipped to help you achieve tame, luscious locks to be envied.
Since 1999, Off London has provided industry-leading hair styling services to Canberra’s residents. Today, the salon boasts an energetic vibe and a reputation of delivering magazine-worthy hair.
The fully trained staff offer a comprehensive range of hair services, from fashion-forward cuts, nourishing treatments, and long-lasting colour, their stylists can help make your hair dreams a reality.
Axis Hairdressing is one of Canberra’s premier salons. Offering a full range of styling services, the highly trained staff specialise in on-going hair management for people of all ages.
Committed to keeping up-to-date with the latest products and style innovations, you can rest easy knowing your hair is in safe hands.
The enthusiastic team behind Antics Hair believe in the full hair styling process, from consultation to on-going maintenance. That’s why they offer a complimentary consultation to all new and existing clients.
From there, the fully qualified stylists can help you achieve a look and style that suits your colouring, face shape, and lifestyle.
The Best Hair Salons in Canberra According to You
I’ve asked a few locals for their recommendations, check them out below and feel free to add your own in the comments section!
I’d recommend Kayla at Sculptures at the Kippax shops, the whole team are great, friendly and well priced.
– Laura, Queanbeyan
I love Pony and Pins for their relaxed vibe and fantastic products. Carolina is always willing to have a chat and give you exactly you want. She does great cuts for guys too! My partner and I always go together and leave super happy every time.
– Sophie, Red Hill
I have been going to Kristen at Sibu for almost 4 years. I have very thick and wavy hair and Kristen always listens to what I want, explains what will work best for me and takes the time and care that my hair needs.
– Juliette, Kaleen
Off London is a first rate salon and the staff there are friendly and professional. As well as being amazing stylist, Luke is a genuinely lovely person and I always walk out feeling great.
– Eleanor, Lyneham
Leslie Henshaw at Next Hair in Braddon is a genius. When I first moved to Canberra no hairdresser could get the blonde I wanted, it always turned out brassy. Leslie was and still is my saviour! He does a killer blonde (and pink, purple or anything in between if you dare!) and knows how to make your lightened locks look amazing (and surprisingly natural!). I’ve had everything from shoulder-length hair to French bobs to pixie cuts, and Leslie gets the cut spot on every time.
– Phoebe, Weston Creek
I’d recommend Anita Nallo at Antons. She listens to my needs and I always leave happy.
– Clare, Aranda
Cosmo in Dickson is great, I love that they spend extra time giving me a head massage!
– Steven, Hackett
I like Axis in Braddon because all the staff are trained to a really high standard. They know what they’re doing and they’re very consultative – they don’t do anything without fully explaining it (as well as providing a quote before they start). They also really look after you, offering coffee (from a proper coffee machine), wine/beer, juice etc, as well as iPads to use.
– Alexandra, Braddon
I’d recommend Antics in Civic. The ladies who run it have been doing it for years and they’re the only hairdressers who have been able to give me exactly what I ask for.
– Sophia, Reid
I’ve been going to Creative Image in Kambah since I was a teenager. There’s no beer or fancy coffee machines but they do stock all of the That’s Life magazines you could ever imagine reading. They really know how to do colours and won’t do things they know won’t suit you, which is why I never leave with a centre part or a pixie crop, which I’ve asked for more than once!
– Amy, Kingston
I’ve been going to Axis since I was 12 and I’d highly recommend them. They’re a family run business with great pre cut services and massages, drinks etc.
– Scott, Lyneham
I’ve recently been to Erindale Hair Centre and it was pretty great – they are happy to work with hesitant or nervous kids and have great products. The hairdressers (namely Ryder) were also understanding and helpful in fixing my bottle-dye catastrophe! They are a tad pricey but are happy to throw in a treatment to ensure that you get the best result.
– Kate, Calwell
Do you have any salon or stylist recommendations? What about hair disasters (please share all embarrassing details!)? Let us know in the comments!