Visiting a driving range can be an excellent way to spend some quality time with your friends and family, or simply to improve your golf skills. Lucky for us, Canberra is home to a number of spectacular championship golf courses and driving ranges suitable for both beginners and seasoned players.
Practicing at a driving range is great ways for beginners and experts alike, as it’s all about practicing technique than playing a proper game of golf. But whether or not your experience is a positive one will come down to the quality of the driving range itself.
In this article, we’ve put together a list of a few traits that are crucial to a great driving range, as well as a helpful guide to some of the best driving ranges that Canberra has to offer.
What makes a great driving range?
Maybe you already know exactly what you’re looking for in a driving range. If not, here’s some inspiration to kick-start your search. Keep an eye out for the following characteristics:
- Properly maintained. The best driving ranges are well maintained by the club’s staff. Not only is the range itself looked after properly, but so too are the club’s gear and facilities.
- Stunning backdrop. Sure, you may just be practicing, but a stunning backdrop can make perfecting your swing that little bit more enjoyable. The region’s best golf courses are situated among some of Canberra’s most scenic areas.
- Welcoming club. If you decided to join the golf club attached to the driving range, you should feel welcomed and a part of the community – even if this is your first time on the green.
- Competitive price point. Look for a driving range that not only offers a competitive price point but also flexible pricing options depending on how often you plan to play.
- Helpful staff. Whether you’re an experienced golfer or you’re just starting out, a helping hand from the staff is always appreciated. Great clubs will have staff that can offer you advice when using the driving range, from equipment and technique to menu recommendations!
The best driving ranges in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
The Gold Creek first opened 1996, and since then has continued to evolve into one of the finest golfing experiences Canberra has to offer. As well as a bar and bistro, gym and pool facilities and a championship 18-hole course, the Gold Creek Country Club has Canberra’s largest grassed driving range, open to the public 7 days a week.
‘Local Guide’ Will Houston left the following Google review for the Gold Creek Country Club, “A great setting and the course is in superb condition. Sensational setting, good and challenging.”
The Gungahlin Lakes Golf Club’s driving range is open to the public every single day. 280 metres long and 50 metres wide, the range is finished with well-manicured grass, exactly the same as the club’s picturesque fairways. What’s more, the Gungahlin Lakes driving range is the only driving range in the district where private or group golf lessons are taught by experienced PGA Golf Professionals.
As Google reviewer James Smith writes, “My local club with magnificent views, great company, excellent facilities and wonderfully cold beer. The foods pretty good as well. The access to the TAB rounds it off.”
The driving range at Capital Public Golf Course boasts 2 storeys and 64 bays, all undercover featuring 28 Auto Tee Up machines and overhead heaters. Open until late 7 days a week, the driving range at Capital is perfect for any schedule all year round. The driving range also offers an on-site café, serving hot and cold drinks and snacks for those settling in for longer sessions.
‘Local Guide’ Steven Nayler had a great experience at Capital, writing the following Google review, “Best driving range in Canberra easily. Huge pro shop, great pitch and putt and mini golf courses too.”
If you’re a keen golfer in Canberra or you’re looking to try it out, check out our articles on the best golf courses and the best mini golf courses in Canberra for some great recommendations. Or, if you’re just looking for some fun activities for the family, we’ve got you covered – head on over to The Best School Holiday Programs in Canberra and The Best Programs & Activities for Teenagers in Canberra for some more ideas!
Your experience with driving ranges in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback on the best and worst driving ranges in Canberra. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Do you practice at a driving range? Which one? Share your experience in the comments section below for our readers to check out.