We are pretty spoilt for choice when it comes to global cuisine in Canberra. We are a multicultural city, and our collective love of food is reflected in the large number and variety of restaurants we have to choose from.
Understandably, Thai food is an extremely popular option, with light noodle dishes and hearty curries to choose from. No matter the weather or your particular cravings, Thai food has something for everyone.
But with so many Thai restaurants all over Canberra, deciding on the perfect venue can be an overwhelming choice. In this article, we’ll give you a few ideas of what to look for in a great Thai restaurant, as well as a guide to some of Canberra’s top picks.
What makes a great Thai restaurant?
Aside from making tasty food, here’s what the best Thai restaurants in Canberra have in common:
- Varied menu. Thai food is already quite varied, and includes soups, noodle and rice dishes as well as salads and roasts. A great Thai restaurant will have enough dishes available that there’s plenty to choose from without it becoming overwhelming.
- Able to cater to dietary requirements. Luckily, most Thai food is already gluten free, and there are plenty of dishes that are vegetarian or vegan to begin with. However, if you maybe want to adjust spice levels or make a dish vegetarian, a great Thai restaurant will be able to meet your needs.
- Lively atmosphere. No one wants to sit in an awkward and quiet venue while they eat. Great restaurants draw great crowds – look for a venue that is regularly attracting lots of customers to make sure you have a fun night out!
- Value for money. The cost of the food should reflect the quality of it. Great Thai restaurants have reasonable serving sizes and consistent quality, leaving you feeling satisfied that you haven’t been ripped off.
- Helpful waitstaff. If you’re new to Thai cuisine or haven’t branched out beyond Pad Thai, you might find yourself relying on your waiters to help explain what certain dishes are. Great Thai restaurants will be staffed by friendly and helpful waiters to make sure you have the perfect dining experience.
The best Thai restaurants in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
Conveniently located in the CBD, Kinn Thai takes great pride in bringing you an authentic Modern Thai culinary experience. They open for dinner, lunch, takeaway, and offer functions in their private dining room.
READ ALSO: Three to try: comforting curries
As ‘Local Guide’ Umar Ansari writes in their Google review, “Delicious food with amazing flavours! We tried the lamb shanks, stir fried chicken and beef chilli. All of them tasted amazing with a healthy serving size. Will definitely visit again!”
D Thai Street Food is a kid-friendly venue located away from the hustle and bustle of the city centre. Head to D Thai for their selection of house specialties including roasted duck, crispy pork belly and red duck curry, or if you’d rather have a quiet night in then take advantage of their home delivery service.
Facebook user Gay McGuire writes in this review, “Great service, pleasant casual decor & delicious food. Definitely value for money & look forward to eating there again. Highly recommend this restaurant.”
This laid-back, casual venue in Weston Creek offers authentic Lao and Thai cuisine and service with a smile. Their menu features plenty of traditional dishes, as well as a selection of Chef’s Specials which includes crispy pork with Chinese broccoli and a soft-shell crab stir fry.
See what ‘Local Guide’ Matthew Smith had to say in their Google review, “Always a great meal. The lunch specials are a bargain. Great Pho and Laksa plus plenty of other options.”
Award-winning Morks creates inventive, contemporary Thai food, beautifully plated and professionally served. Dishes change with the seasons and have included BBQ pork buns, Angel prawns, curries and 12-hour beef short ribs. For dessert, try Mork’s fried ice cream. Indoor and outdoor dining available.
As Facebook user Mark Hurwitz writes, “Great meal Superb variety and tremendous courses. Really good meal and superb service. Highly recommended.”
CocoNine serves delicious, authentic Thai cuisine in a gorgeous setting on the Foreshore, with some al fresco dining perfect for warmer evenings. Whether you’re after some homemade crispy wontons, Panang curry or a laksa, CocoNine has something to suit all tastes.
Facebook user Vikram Varma wrote the following review of their experience at CocoNine, “A delicious Thai restaurant with great service, atmosphere and convenient location. The portion sizes are good, menu creative and flexible. Staff are friendly and professional. Highly recommended!”
Craving some Asian food, but don’t know where to start? We’ve got you covered – check out our articles on the best Chinese, Indian and Yum Cha restaurants in Canberra for a guide to some of the best venues around.
Your experience with Thai restaurants in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback, if you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the Thai restaurants listed above? Have we missed your favourite? If so, please share your feedback in the comments below!