2 March 2011

Building granny flats in the ACT?

| flynnite
Join the conversation

I need to accommodate my sister and her 12 year old Autistic son.

I am thinking of building a Granny Flat on my Block as it is definitely large enough and I won’t hit the 50% rule with my existing home.

I looked at the ACTPLA excuse for common sense and their interactive map and found I am either medium pink or a shade darker another shade of pink…so feeling hopeful something is possible.

Has anyone experience in doing anything like this and not dual occupancy? I would not even want a different meter box for electricity.. The Carers pension is around $600 per fortnight and to have to look after the 2 of them on this money is not happening and as the costs rise it is not going to keep happening for any type of life.

This is a solution which would share the responsibilty for my nephew and take the strain I hope from their lives as much as I can.

Join the conversation

All Comments
  • All Comments
  • Website Comments

flynnite, yes you can build a second residence on your block. you are just not able to subdivide it and sell separately, unless you are in a RZ2 zone. this is what ACTPLA says:
Yes, but you can’t unit title these dwellings. You can subdivide the block (where the zoning and block size allows) into two separate Crown leases and separate services with appropriate easements for access should be provided.
However, if you are contemplating subdivision you should first consult with utility providers eg. ACTEW as separate services cannot be provided in all circumstances.
That page will also tell you that you can build a granny flat on your block. And this is the link: http://www.actpla.act.gov.au/topics/design_build/begin_project/unit_titles/unit_titling_and_dual_occupancies

I expect you found the answer and are now happily in the process of building?

officeworker12:21 pm 03 Mar 11

If you haven’t already, I’d highly suggest contacting Disability ACT (see http://www.dhcs.act.gov.au/disability_act/contact_us). They should be able to give you some advice about your options.

I am not getting a good feeling about this solution. Maybe I just add on to my home but that doesn’t give them independance.

But they badly need support and respite care. The family being closer and with the different generations available to help is important as he will be possibly with them when we are too old or pass away.

rosscoact thankyou for the link..change is coming but nothing clear as yet.

I think the name granny flat is the problem…but it is the easiest way to explain the need.

It is bad enough to think of a necessary change as it is.

You will need to check your crown lease to see if it states you are only entitled to ‘one single unit private dwelling house’ on the block. If so you will need to apply to amend the crown lease to allow two private dwelling houses. You will then have to pay a change of use charge, what used to be called ‘betterment tax’.

The link above doesn’t work, is it supposed to be this??

One potential stumbling block you are potentially going to come up against, is that you are proposing the granny flat will be occupied by your sister and her disabled child. Granny flat (non-dual-occupancy) arrangements are supposed to provide for the residents of one dwelling to be on site to provide care for residents of the other dwelling – eg working age couple with children in main house, aged grandparents in granny flat OR disabled person living in main house with separate suite for live-in carer/housekeeper. Accommodating extended family – even if there is disability involved – may not fit the criteria. Unless your sister needs help to care for her son?

The granny flat is supposed to be able to be amalgamated with the dwelling once the carer/caree situation no longer exists (eg use temporary building that can be removed, or extend in a way that can be later connected to the main house).

Have look here


there are changes afoot and they explain the current situation as well as what is proposed. This is supposed to make it easier to get granny flats constructed. Changes to the unit titles act mean that it’s much more difficult to get the thing seperately titled but that’s not a problem for you.

Daily Digest

Want the best Canberra news delivered daily? Every day we package the most popular Riotact stories and send them straight to your inbox. Sign-up now for trusted local news that will never be behind a paywall.

By submitting your email address you are agreeing to Region Group's terms and conditions and privacy policy.