Steve Pratt brings us the slightly odd news that the bike racks on buses trial has been prematurely cancelled.
Apparently the 2004-05 June Quarter Capital Works Progress Report has the word “cancelled” beside the $345,000 ‘Bicycle Racks on ACTION Buses’ program.
Not-the-transport Minister Simon Corbell told the Assembly earlier in October that the bike rack trial was due for completion in November.
It has been suggested on this site previously that the bike racks on the front of buses were illegal because they make the buses longer than the standard size. Certainly the few buses I have seen that are fitted with bike racks have had make-shift signs tied to the racks which say they are not to be used.
Weekly NewsletterEvery Thursday afternoon, we package up the most-read and trending RiotACT stories of the past seven days and deliver straight to your inbox..
So what we appear to have here is a trial of a perfectly good idea where the practicalities were not thought through and, as a result, it’s been cancelled before completion and presumably money has been wasted on fitting the racks which cannot be used.
UPDATE Mr Pratt’s got another effort out here in which he says during today he’s talked to a number of his constituents and they all remarked on the “not in operation” signs tied onto the bike racks (he could have saved himself some time and just looked here). Anyway, he now wants to know not only why the program has been cancelled, but why the bike racks being trialled aren’t even in use.