The Bush Capital is making a comeback, having fended off Australia’s Cool Capital among other slogans to take pride of place on ACT numberplates from later this year.
The people have spoken via more than 8000 online votes to retain CANBERRA: THE NATION’S CAPITAL and add CANBERRA: THE BUSH CAPITAL as numberplate slogan choices.
Weekly NewsletterEvery Thursday afternoon, we package up the most-read and trending RiotACT stories of the past seven days and deliver straight to your inbox..
Canberra drivers will be able to choose between the two tagline when they come into circulation later this year.
The ACT Government sought the views of Canberrans on the new slogan through the online forum ‘Your Say’. Canberrans embraced the challenge of coming up with their own ideas before a panel selected ten suitable options from which the final winner was chosen.
Chief Minister Andrew Barr said he was encouraged by the enthusiasm of Canberrans who engaged in the process.
“The Government will look at further ways we can have similar discussions with the community in the future,” he said today.
Mr Barr did not believe there was any connection between the “bush capital” choice and sentiment towards the ACT Government’s economic development agenda.
“I wouldn’t read too much into it,” he said. “Really, it’s a numberplate slogan.”
The new slogan and the one remaining existing slogan will streamline the numberplate system in the ACT with the other existing slogans phased out.
ONLINE VOTING RESULTS
New plate slogan:
1. CANBERRA – THE BUSH CAPITAL (1671 votes, 38%)
2. NGUNNAWAL COUNTRY (1058 votes, 24%)
3. CBR – DRIVING THE NATION (479 votes, 11%)
4. CBR – AUSTRALIA’S COOL CAPITAL (366 votes, 8%)
5. AUSTRALIA’S MEETING PLACE (315 votes, 7%)
6. CBR – FOR ALL SEASONS (140 votes, 3%)
7. CBR – GREEN AND CLEAN (118 votes, 3%)
8. CBR – CITY OF DIVERSITY (87 votes, 2%)
9. CBR – BRILLIANT POSSIBILITIES (70 votes, 2%)
10. CBR – AN ACTIVE CITY (65 votes, 1%)
Total votes : 4369
Existing plate slogan to retain:
1. CANBERRA THE NATION’S CAPITAL (2292 votes, 50%)
2. CANBERRA – HEART OF THE NATION (1101 votes, 24%)
3. PARLIAMENT HOUSE (image) (746 votes, 16%)
4. FEEL THE POWER OF CANBERRA (383 votes, 8%)
5. CANBERRA – AGE FRIENDLY CITY (45 votes, 1%)
Total votes: 4567