CONTENT WARNING: This article refers to an alleged sexual assault.
A Canadian man accused of the historical sexual assault of a child has been committed for trial, although he will also fight other allegations in Canberra’s lower courts.
Alexander John Clancy, from Ontario, first faced the ACT Magistrates Court over the allegations in April.
The then-40-year-old had been accused of sexually assaulting a 14-year-old when he was in the ACT over 10 years ago.
Earlier this year, ACT Policing said an investigation began in December 2021 when police received information alleging he had committed offences in 2008 against a girl aged 14.
Police learned he had re-entered Australia on 9 April 2023, and a warrant was issued for his arrest.
On Monday (13 November), his lawyer, Michael Valentin, told the court there were three separate matters against him, and two were ready to be committed to trial.
Mr Clancy was committed for trial on two counts of sexual intercourse with a person aged between 10 and 16.
He will also face a trial on single counts of using the internet to deprave young people, using a child for the production of child pornography and using a carriage service to transmit child pornography.
These matters will first appear in the Supreme Court on 23 November to start organising a trial.
Meanwhile, Mr Clancy will also fight a charge of stalking at a Magistrates Court hearing starting on 15 April 2024.
Mr Valenin said there would be four civilian witnesses and one police witness.
Magistrate Jane Campbell continued his bail. Mr Clancy has pleaded not guilty.
If this reporting has caused you concern, you can contact Lifeline on 13 11 14, or call Triple Zero (000) in an emergency. You can report a crime or request police assistance on 131 444.