If you’re looking for a nature-based escape to get away from the hustle and bustle, then the gorgeous Kangaroo Valley is for you. There’s rich pastureland, pristine creeks, thriving rainforest and spectacular views. There’s no shortage of outdoor activities, and if adventure is your thing, you’ll find something to interest you around every corner. But if great food, history or shopping are more your style, Kangaroo Valley has you covered too.
Kangaroo Valley is a small historic village that sits within a picturesque river valley of the same name in the Shoalhaven region. It’s surrounded by the towering peaks of the Southern Highlands, and is a place of natural beauty.
Things to do
- Take the Man from Kangaroo Valley trail ride and experience the picturesque surroundings and panoramic views on horseback
- Jump in a kayak or canoe and explore the famous Hampden Bridge, the valley’s most famous landmark and the only surviving suspension bridge from NSW’s colonial period.
- Go for a scenic drive. The surrounding area has plenty of breathtaking vistas to explore, like the Cambewarra Mountain Lookout which offers 360° views of the coast and Southern Highlands. There’s a café to grab a meal or snack while you’re there.
- Don’t miss the popular and stunning Fitzroy Falls just off the Illawarra Highway, where you’ll find spectacular views over incredible waterfalls and to the mountains beyond. Read more about Fitzroy Falls and the nearby Belmore and Wentworth Falls
- Kangaroo Valley dates back to 1870 and still has that country charm. The Kangaroo Valley Pioneer Village Museum is worth a visit. It’s a historical settlement that depicts farm life in the second half of the 19th and early 20th century and brings it to life.
- The museum also has 7 hectares of natural bushland available for bushwalking along designated tracks.
- Get your foodie fix. No matter what your tastes run to, Kangaroo Valley has you covered. We love Yarrawa Estate and the sensational food at Jing Jo Thai Café and Restaurant. The Kangaroo Valley Pie Shop is the place for home-made pies and for a sweet handmade treat, drop into the Kangaroo Valley Fudge House and Ice Creamery.
- Shop til you drop at the village in Kangaroo Valley, which is home to top-quality shops stocked with contemporary and vintage finds including gifts, homewares, lollies, food and art and craft.
View this post on Instagram
Now is the perfect time for a kayaking adventure! With moody misty mornings followed by warm sunny days, put a Kangaroo River paddle on your spring bucket list! ? @ourwildchapter . . . . . #kangaroovalley #springfun #weekendadventures #canoeing #kayakingadventures #shoalhaven #southcoastnsw #familydayout #campingfun #mistymornings #outdooradventures #sydneyweekend #sydneylifestyle #sydneylife #escapethecity
It’s an easy highway drive from Canberra to the Kangaroo Valley via the Hume and Illawarra Highways. From the CBD, head towards Sydney and take the Illawarra highway towards Moss Vale. It’s well signposted. Yarrawa Rd, Nowra Rd and Moss Vale Rd will get you to Kangaroo Valley.
- Duration: Approximately a two-hour drive each way if going via the Federal and Hume Highways
- Distance from Canberra: Just under 200km
- Recommended for: Anyone wanting to escape the noise and pace of everyday life and immerse themselves in the quiet life filled with gourmet experiences, nature and rich history
- More information: Visit NSW, Kangaroo Valley
Have you been to Kangaroo Valley? Do you have any favourite places you’d like to share with others?