A protester who allegedly caused a woman to fracture both her wrists at Exhibition Park (EPIC) earlier this year will front ACT Magistrates Court today (Friday 6 May).
In February police received a report regarding the alleged assault of a 67-year-old woman, who was employed at a venue inside EPIC.
Both her wrists were fractured and needed surgery after a man allegedly assaulted her while causing a disturbance.
On Tuesday (3 May 2022), with the assistance of NSW Police, a search warrant was executed at an address in the Sydney suburb of Kings Langley, where a 34-year-old man was arrested. Police will allege the man was in Canberra at the time of the incident as part of ongoing protest activity.
Following his arrest, the 34-year-old man appeared at the Blacktown Local Court where he was bailed to appear in the ACT Magistrates Court on Friday, 6 May.
He will be charged with trespassing and recklessly inflicting grievous bodily harm. The latter charge carries a maximum penalty of 20 years.
Detective Acting Inspector Leesa Alexander said Canberra had seen ongoing protest activity, some of which had little regard for the safety and security of our community.
“While the person that allegedly committed this crime does not live in the ACT, we have close working relationships with state police, and they assisted in his identification, location and arrest,” she said.
“This should serve as a warning to anyone protesting in the ACT. Peaceful protest activity is a person’s right, however if someone breaks the law they will be identified, arrested and placed before the court.”