Canberra Raiders Jack Wighton has pleaded not guilty to nine charges following an incident outside a Canberra nightclub on February 3.
The fullback will fight allegations that he assaulted people in an alleged brawl outside Civic nightclub Academy earlier this year while celebrating his birthday.
The 25-year-old faced the ACT Magistrates Court on Wednesday morning (11 April) where he pleaded not guilty to three charges of assault occasioning actual bodily harm, five counts of common assault, and public urination.
The case was listed for hearing on July 10, with the hearing expected to take one day and would include CCTV of the alleged incident.
The NRL Integrity unit has been investigating the incident along with ACT Policing and it is believed that the police have examined the CCTV footage of the incident involving Wighton.
The father-of-two’s alleged role in the brawl is one of a long list of off-field misdemeanours at the Canberra Raiders in previous years.
The Canberra side has shown that they will not tolerate off-field bad behaviour after sacking Todd Carney (2008), Joel Monaghan (2010), Josh Dugan (2013) and Blake Ferguson (2013) for indiscretions.
In a club statement released on Wednesday morning (11 April), the Raiders said the club would allow Wighton to continue to play while the case was ongoing.
“The Club will allow Wighton to continue to train and play with the club during this period. As the matter is before the court, the Raiders will not be making any further comment on the issue,” the statement said.
“The Raiders continue to work with the NRL Integrity unit and have informed them of the latest developments.”
Wighton was named on Tuesday (10 April) in a 21-man Raiders squad to face on the Eels on Saturday night.
Canberra Raiders vs Parramatta Eels at GIO Stadium, Saturday 7:35 pm. Tickets available from Ticketek.