July start for Tuggeranong and Gungahlin bulky waste pick-up bookings

Ian Bushnell 1 July 2020 15
Deepak-Raj Gupta, Michael Pattersson and Chris Steel

Gungahlin Labor MLAs Deepak-Raj Gupta and Michael Pattersson with Minister for Recycling and Waste Reduction Chris Steel at a Crace residence preparing for the start of the bulky waste service. Photos: Supplied.

UPDATED: Tuggeranong and Gungahlin residents can now schedule a waste collection pickup to throw out their bulky waste free of charge after the ACT Government announced a contractor for its promised once-a-year kerbside collection service last month.

Collections will start from Wednesday, 15 July and are limited to two cubic metres (about the size of a small box trailer). The items will need to be put out 48 hours before the collection date.

The northern and southern suburbs will be the first to receive the bookings-based service, with Belconnen, Molonglo and Hall to follow in 2021-22, Woden and Weston Creek in 2022-23 and the inner north and inner south in 2023-24.

A long list of items including furniture, white goods, electronics and building materials will be accepted, but dangerous goods such as gas bottles, tyres, sheet glass, chemicals and sharps will not be collected.

Minister for Recycling and Waste Reduction Chris Steel said the aim was to maximise the amount of material that will not have to go to landfill, and charities will benefit from any items that can be re-used.

The contractor, recycling and waste management company Suez, is partnering with The Salvation Army and Vinnies to identify items that can be sold through their shopfronts.

It will also provide ‘last chance Saturdays’ for the community to retrieve items free of charge from Suez’s facility on nominated Saturdays.

Gungahan Labor MLAs Deepak-Raj Gupta

Suez, which is already servicing Canberra, has been awarded the bulky waste collection contract.

Mr Steel said Suez would have to meet a 30 per cent recovery rate from material collected or have to pay gate fees at the Mugga Lane tip, creating a strong incentive for the company to maximise the amount diverted from landfill.

The scheme would also help prevent illegal dumping, particularly that which has plagued charity bins in recent years.

“The bulky waste service is designed to make it easier for Canberrans to dispose of unwanted household goods, saving time and money whilst also enabling better resource recovery, reducing illegal dumping and keeping our city clean,” Mr Steel said.

He said the government was looking at installing charity bins at recycling drop-off points so they could be monitored more closely.

Mr Steel said the staggered roll-out would help manage demand, and Gungahlin with its high number of multi-unit residences would provide a test case for how to deal with those households.

Unit dwellers will have to book through their strata manager so the system would not be overwhelmed.

The service will create 14 new jobs in 2020-21 and employment will increase as the service expands.

Suez will also be introducing an Indigenous driver training program.

The service, which will cost about $18 million over five years, will continue to be provided to concession cardholders across the ACT.

Mr Steel expects about 60 per cent of residents to use the service.

To learn more about the service, and what will and won’t be collected, visit City Services.


What's Your Opinion?


Please login to post your comments, or connect with
15 Responses to July start for Tuggeranong and Gungahlin bulky waste pick-up bookings
Daniel Trevarthen Daniel Trevarthen 2:19 pm 14 Jun 20

The Capital is slowly catching up with the rest of Australia... first it was green waste bins (which you have to opt-in and pay for...wtf???)... now curb-side pick ups... 😮

Careful - you might hurt yourselves moving so quickly 🤣

You might also start being only 5 years behind the rest of the country, instead of 10 years!

    Daniel Trevarthen Daniel Trevarthen 1:40 pm 18 Jun 20

    Mick Howe scary how the Capital is so far behind the rest of the country isn’t it!

Angie Carey Angie Carey 12:37 pm 14 Jun 20

So lower rate paying areas get goverment services first.

privatepublic privatepublic 4:12 am 14 Jun 20

“nothing happens in election years” most definitely pork-barreling, including all the road signs going up stating duplication. Goulburn had it and green bins for years and the bus service is on par….

Deborah Gale Deborah Gale 7:13 pm 13 Jun 20

Must be an election coming.

    Ashley Wright Ashley Wright 8:36 pm 13 Jun 20

    Deborah Gale what do you suggest that nothing happens in election years? Ps this was announced at least 18 months ago.

Rob Rob 11:55 am 13 Jun 20

An implementation schedule of 4 years. Only could this ridiculously slow roll-out in the ACT; only here would we tolerate it. What a joke.

Victor Lee Victor Lee 11:14 am 13 Jun 20

The smart thing to do now is to get together with your neighbours and depending on what you want to get rid of, you can have 2-3 pickups between you.

Anthony Stewart Anthony Stewart 10:46 am 13 Jun 20

Cross the border in Queanbeyan we have had this for years

    Alex Troy Elsworth Adkins Alex Troy Elsworth Adkins 11:45 am 13 Jun 20

    Anthony Stewart yep, its not a new idea been happening almost everywhere for years even decades. Just shows how far behind Canberra is... 😔

    Fenji Stradwick Fenji Stradwick 3:00 am 14 Jun 20

    Pity one guy wrecked it when we used to have the whole town done twice a year so a lot of stuff for get upcycled, green waste mulched, Metal Recycle trucks picked up white goods etc then recycled.

    Now the garbage truck just turns up and it all goes into waste and instead of twice a year with everyone doing it,, it's piles of stuff sporadically through out the whole year.

Simon Gadgets Simon Gadgets 10:43 am 13 Jun 20

they are going to be busy fulfilling all their promises that were supposed to be delivered this current term,

they have about 4 months left

Danielle McMahon Danielle McMahon 10:15 am 13 Jun 20

Does any one know if they take matteress. Cot and single siz3.

    Chris Vlahos Chris Vlahos 10:26 am 13 Jun 20

    Danielle McMahon if its the same service sydney had they do

Bec Moroney Bec Moroney 10:09 am 13 Jun 20

Great news ! I grew up in Perth, we had a bulk waste collection once a year, and was very surprised it wasn't a thing when I moved to Canberra. Looking forward to it coming to Belconnen.

CBR Tweets

Sign up to our newsletter

Top

Search across the site