If you’re finding that the new year’s resolution you made with conviction on January 1 is looking less enticing now we’ve hit February, perhaps there’s something else you can do.
Icon Water has challenged Canberra and Queanbeyan to think more about the water we all use through our Care for Water campaign, and there are lots of easy things we can all do to be more responsible when we’re using water.
Whether your guilty pleasure is long showers, you haven’t got around to calling the landlord about that leaking tap, or the thought of spreading mulch on your garden makes you want to lie down, here are some ideas to help make 2020 the year for great water habits.
- Make a list. Walk around your house (and garden if you have one) and come up with a list of possible ways you could reduce your water use. Check out this page for ideas and inspiration if you’re not sure, or see the water saving tips already submitted by Canberrans.
- Start small. Pick the one habit you want to change, write it down and be specific about what exactly it will look like – make sure it’s realistic and achievable. For example, your goal might be: “For the month of February, everyone in the family will use the shower timer to make sure showers are no longer than four minutes”. You can also submit your goal to the Water Saving Tips competition and go into the draw to win a $100 voucher every week until the end of February.
- Stay accountable. If it’s a family challenge you’ve set, check in over dinner and see how everyone’s going. If it’s a solo goal you’ve set, tell a friend or family member so they can motivate and encourage you.
- Celebrate! If you installed that water saving shower head – well done! If you remembered to run your washing machine with full loads only – fantastic! Remember, it’s not about being perfect, it’s about small changes, continuing to pay attention to your water use, and making improvements over time.
- Keep the momentum up. If your goal was to scrape your plates instead of rinsing for a whole week – don’t stop at the end of the week. Try to build it in as a forever habit. And then look to the next goal you can achieve to help care for water.
Find out more at www.iconwater.com.au/savewater
This is a sponsored article, though all opinions are the author’s own. For more information on paid content, see our sponsored content policy.