Skip to content Skip to main navigation


Quality childcare in a
welcoming & supportive environment

Making a Move

By GnT - 26 July 2007 25

I was chatting to a friend the other day; he has lived in Canberra two years, yet still has his car rego, driver’s licence, electoral enrolment, pretty much everything registered in NSW. Even most of his mail goes to his mum in Sydney. The same day, I was leaving the gym where the Raiders train and saw them leave and get into their cars, three of which had non-ACT plates (2 NSW and 1 QLD).

Why are so many people reluctant to make the complete move? Why do they still hold on to their past address? Are they ashamed to admit they live here? Or is it sheer laziness?

I think if you move, do it properly. Especially change your electoral enrolment – if the electoral commission saw how many people really live here we might get a third federal seat. And do it now before the election is called.

What’s Your opinion?

Post a comment
Please login to post your comments, or connect with
25 Responses to
Making a Move
Absent Diane 3:52 pm 26 Jul 07

that will never happen under fed liberal party. I don’t know how the states would like it either – they generally don’t like being told what to do.. plus it probably generates a lot of their revenue.

Apart from that makes perfect sense.

Thumper 3:36 pm 26 Jul 07

The Commonwealth taking over sounds like a bloody good idea to me.

At least it would stop little State and local government rego raises whenever they feel like they need some money.

skaboy12 3:34 pm 26 Jul 07

There is also the inconvenience if you own a modified car. I changed my rego to ACT then 12 months later moved to Queanbeyan,and tried to change my rego back.

In NSW my car needs to almost stock to pass a Blue Slip (interstate) inspection but is fine for the yearly pink slip inspection. The end result was that I needed to raise my suspension for 1 day, then lower it again and swap out my brakes for stock ones only to change them back the next day.

Needless to say, If I move back into the ACT, my car rego will stay in NSW this time.

Rawhide Kid No 2 3:29 pm 26 Jul 07

Why cant they make rego a national thing and road rules and vehicle third party would be the same. Then the Commonwealth can run the show and look after all the transport infrastructure. And the States and Territory’s would not be able to use these Taxes or charges other than for roads. Not that the States & Territory’s do that now..Do they??

Ruby Wednesday 3:03 pm 26 Jul 07

Dealing with the ACT Government Shopfront to change the rego over was a nightmare. We waiting until our Queensland rego expired. Even then, it took two trips because the person on the phone told me something completely different from the witch at the shopfront, which necessitated extra paperwork.

As for the electoral roll, I changed it ASAP, ’cause I didn’t want to have to vote in the Queensland election. I was eligible to change it two days before the rolls closed, so I just squeezed in.

smokey2 2:36 pm 26 Jul 07

Someone I know uses his Vic address where he has property interests, works in ACT and sleeps week nights in Qbn NSW. He lives in Australia who care about these state boundaries?

Ingeegoodbee 2:07 pm 26 Jul 07

I’d say dealing with the ACT government would be the single biggest turn-off. When I moved here years ago I went to change my car rego. I stood in a queue for ages, finally got to the counter and had some vacuouse jerk-off tell me I’d have to come back the next day because it would take about 8-10 minutes and therefor he couldn’t get it done before 4.51pm when he knocked off. I walked away stunned and needless to say it was a few years until I could be arsed doing anything about changing the rego.

la mente torbida 1:40 pm 26 Jul 07

Laziness? Perhaps. Tight Ar$ed? Probably.
Just don’t whinge about ACT roads etc, when you aren’t contributing towards them.

MissUnderstood 1:38 pm 26 Jul 07

We should aslco acknowledge that it also happens the other way around i.e. the arrangements that some residents of places just out of Canberra have in claiming to be Canberrans….

Case in point: my significant other has been a resident of Queanbeyan for the last 2 years, yet still maintains his residency paperwork in the ACT (using his parental’s address). So I suppose these situations can go some of the way to offsetting the converse scenario.

I guess what also helps him is the fact that he doesn’t have to worry about the cost of rego (work car). That is something that could well sway his decision.

Maelinar 1:30 pm 26 Jul 07

ACT Government Shopfront is all I’m going to say on the matter.

Thumper 12:59 pm 26 Jul 07

VYs first two points…

VYBerlinaV8 now_with 12:57 pm 26 Jul 07

/ dons flame suit /

VYBerlinaV8 now_with 12:56 pm 26 Jul 07

People don’t change their rego for 3 reasons:
1) ACT rego is more expensive than NSW
2) Transferring rego is a pain, and involves dealing with the ACT govt
3) New South Welshmen don’t want to be identified as idiot yogies who can’t drive.

(If you don’t know what a yogi is, you are one).

andy 12:55 pm 26 Jul 07

it may be cheaper to keep the car rego in where ever…
it may only be a short term move.. if i moved for 12 months, i’d leave most of my details here.

Battle_Kath 12:55 pm 26 Jul 07

As far as I know, people don’t change over their rego from other states because it’s more expensive in the ACT.

Related Articles

CBR Tweets

Sign up to our newsletter

Copyright © 2017 Riot ACT Holdings Pty Ltd. All rights reserved. | |

Search across the site