Missing live music? You’re not alone.
Last Friday night, Canberra played host to two online music festivals in Mulgara’s Rockin The Burrows and the cheekily named Capital Chill Festival. Navigating back and forth between two different streams felt eerily similar to racing between stages at a real-life music festival when you’re desperate not to miss any of the acts.
It was also a wonderful opportunity to reconnect with the community that surrounds live music in Canberra, a community that until now could only be accessed in person. Say what you will about streaming gigs compared to physically attending them (like in the old days), but the power of music to bring people together has been piercingly evident in recent weeks despite punters being physically apart.
We’ve collected some of the most intriguing music events happening around the internet this week. Check back throughout the week for more events as they’re announced.
Canberran songwriter and sound artist Happy Axe has been taking to her social media once a fortnight to bring us sets of improvised, ambient music from her new North Melbourne home. The series continues this week with Happy Place #3, with a focus on sounds that can accompany a restful or meditative afternoon in the iso-world. Tune in to the stream this Sunday using either Instagram or Facebook and be captivated by one of Melbourne’s unique and beloved musicians.
Where: Streaming via The Lounge Room Sessions’ Facebook page
When: This Thursday at 8:00 pm
A legendary figure in Australian music, Tim Rogers will perform songs from across his solo career and the You Am I discography for this intimate acoustic set. The Lounge Room Sessions are a wing of the Riverboats Music Festival which, following the festival’s cancellation, is taking to the internet to present sets from a wide array of Australian artists. Optional contributions can be made during the stream, with all funds raised going straight to the artists participating.
- Midday Music at UC – 12:00 pm
- Music Research Seminar Series: Roya Safaei and Mitra Janandideh – 3:30 pm
- Nicholas Young: In The Studio – 6:30 pm
- Squaring Circles – 7:00 pm
- HD Entertainment Livestream – 7:30 pm
- Tim Rogers: The Loungeroom Sessions – 8:00 pm
- Couch Gays: Insta Live Gig Series – 8:00 pm
- Piano Bliss – 7:00 pm
- Sarah Blasko (2013) – 8:00 pm
- Melbourne Digital Concert Hall: Opera Australia – 8:30 pm.
- Red Zoom Sessions – 7:30 pm
- Deborah Conway & Willy Zeiger: The Loungeroom Sessions – 8:00 pm
- Razmatazz Live From Home: Free Livestream Indie Disco – 9:00 pm.