If you’re building or renovating as a land owner in Canberra, you need to appoint a building certifier. A building certifier will help you obtain building approval, inspect building work as it progresses, and issue a certificate of completion when works are complete.
In the ACT, building certifiers must be independent. They can’t have a legal, financial or personal interest in the land or the completion of the building work, and they can only issue certificates if all legislative requirements and building codes are met.
You can authorise someone else (such as your builder) to choose and appoint your building certifier on your behalf. Or you can choose and appoint your own.
Either way, it is the land owner’s responsibility to make sure a building certifier is appointed. Don’t rely on the builder to take care of this for you!
What to look for in a building certifier
The right building certifier can save you time, hassle and money. But how do you know which building certifier is best for you? Here are a few suggestions:
- Appropriate licences. Your chosen building certifier needs to have a building surveyor licence for your type of building. Some surveyors can certify any building work, for example, while others can certify buildings up to a certain height and size.
- Local knowledge. The building approval and certification process isn’t just complex; it can also vary between states and territories. To avoid building delays, consider working with a local building certifier who’s seen it all before.
- Independence. Your building certifier should not have any financial, legal or personal interest in the building work, and they shouldn’t have a commercial or financial relationship with you or your builder.
- Organised. Delays in obtaining building approvals and certification can push out work by weeks or months. Look for a building certifier who is highly organised and committed to following processes correctly.
- Value for money. Building certifiers determine their own fees in the ACT. Check whether your building certifier’s fee also includes collecting mandatory ACT Government fees on your behalf (these could also be included in your payment to the builder as part of your building contract).
The top building certifiers in Canberra – according to you
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 19 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
Heritage Building Certification (HBC) is run by David Millar, a building surveyor and building code consultant with over 22 years of experience. He provides building certification services in the ACT and NSW, including for health and public buildings, commercial and industrial buildings and high and low rise residential buildings.
When you work with HBC you can expect frequent communication, informed advice, prompt replies to emails and a seamless application process. Its aim is to deliver consistent professional deliverables, for a reasonable cost, with high levels of satisfaction.
Capital Certifiers is a Canberra-based building certification company that helps clients navigate the daunting process of obtaining building approvals in the ACT and NSW.
Its team provides advice in areas including: BCA compliance, legislative requirements, development and building approval exemptions, unit title assessments and disabled access requirements.
Google Reviewer Steve was particularly appreciative of Capital Certifiers’ services: “Very happy with the services provided by this company on my new build,” he wrote.
If you’re building or renovating in the ACT or Southern NSW, BCA Certifier’s building certifiers are ready to help get your building work approved, inspected and certified.
With over 13 years of industry experience, BCA Certifiers knows exactly what it takes – from a certification perspective – to get your construction project finished quickly. Its team stays up-to-date with the latest legislative changes to prevent delays, while also ensuring the process is smooth and cooperative.
BCA Certifiers also provides effective and professional building approval solutions for clients demolishing Mr Fluffy homes in Canberra. It is familiar with the asbestos removal and demolitions process, and can provide a seamless transition to the building approval and construction of the replacement residence.
Client Mark had this to say about BCA Certifiers on Google Reviews: “I have utilised BCA Certifiers with all my building work approvals and have had great experience when dealing with the inspectors. They have efficiently answered all of my questions, met my deadlines and gone over and above to assist me where needed. I highly recommend the entire team at BCA Certifiers Canberra.”
Your experience with building certifiers in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the building certification companies listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.