As far as life’s key milestones are concerned, few are as significant as the purchase of a home. Whether you are securing an abode in Woden, or spreading your wings further afar, any purchase is a big deal. Though as thrilling as the property hunt may be, it can also be equally as stressful. Both first time buyers and seasoned investors will eagerly agree that there is plenty to keep one busy!
From building inspections and securing finances to succeeding on auction day, the path to settlement is a complex one. Not to mention the mammoth pile of paperwork and page after page of legal jargon that comes along with it. With fine print and property law to consider, most of us look to the services of a conveyancing lawyer.
As licensed professionals, conveyancing lawyers specialise in the transfer of property ownership. Well adept at property law they ensure legal obligations are met and that rights are protected. If you are seeking a conveyancing lawyer in Woden, then you have come to the right place. Below is our pick of Woden’s best.
What makes a great conveyancing lawyer?
The best conveyancing lawyers pick up the reins and navigate property proceedings on behalf of their clients. Bet a purchase, sale, or title update, they ensure all fine print is noted. Here is what we think separates the best conveyancing lawyers from the rest:
- Qualified. The unique and complex nature of property law across the ACT requires specialist skills to navigate. So, be sure to seek a conveyancing team appropriately qualified and up to the task. Naturally, formal qualifications, certifications, and practising admission are a given. To cross reference, visit the Australian Institute of Conveyancers and the ACT Law Society. Finally, consider a conveyancer’s reputation. The best will come readily recommended by colleagues, family, and friends.
- Specialised skills. When seeking a conveyancing lawyer in Woden, consider your specific needs. While many are well rounded property law experts, not all will have the innate insight required for all transactions. Some conveyancers focus on standard residential titles while others do so across commercial or strata. Thus consider your situation and match accordingly. Moreover, those with complex circumstances may wish to seek out a conveyancing lawyer with expertise in that area.
- Swift servicing. When it comes to any property transfer, timing is critical. The best conveyancing lawyers excel at quick turnarounds, ready to complete each stage of the transfer in a timely manner. Look for swift attention, proactivity, and support teams that follow through on their own accord. This efficiency not only moves things along; it also helps to minimise stress.
- Effective communicator. Any high performing legal team prides itself on clear, effective communication. More than simply talking at you, the best understand that effective communication is a two-way street. They listen intently, gauge understanding, and seek clarification when needed. Often the best way to assess is to meet your conveyancing lawyer, and their team, in person.
- Affordable. As with any professional service, one of the crucial factors determining whom you appoint is cost. And while there may not be much of a cost differential between firms, understanding charges upfront allows for upfront planning. Hence, be sure to obtain a fee schedule and detailed quote, outlining professional fees and additional disbursements. The right conveyancing lawyer will be both transparent with costs – and also affordable.
The best conveyancing lawyers in Woden
Riotact’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on Riotact and maintain a minimum average of 4/5 stars on both Google and Facebook reviews.
With a proud legacy that spans over fifty years, Velocity Conveyancing Woden are positioned as one of the area’s premier residential conveyancing firms. Since their establishment in 1968, Velocity Conveyancing have been helping their local communities to step into, and up, the property ladder.
A member of the broader Velocity Conveyancing Group, they boast numerous locations across the ACT, into New South Wales, and throughout Victoria. With plenty of national market intel and local property insight, the Woden team draws on both to deliver best practice conveyancing services.
The breadth of their conveyancing offering encompasses the purchase or sale of residential property, apartments, off the plan purchases, and land, along with subdivisions, title, and easement updates. Assisting both purchasers and sellers, their team of highly experienced conveyancing lawyers drive the full conveyancing process.
From contract review and term negotiation through to liaising with finance and contract exchange they do it all. Striving to alleviate client pressure, Velocity Conveyancing operates towards a stage-based workflow, designed to both simplify and streamline proceedings.
Here conveyancing services extend across building searches, building and pest inspections, boundary surveys, and strata reports to name but a few. Importantly, their skilled conveyancing lawyers provide clear contract advice, explaining all terms and conditions whilst making recommendations that protect legal rights and obligations.
Velocity Conveyancing are also known for their competitively priced service offering. With fixed fee components, straight forward disbursements, and clear extras, clients can readily forward plan. If you are searching for some helping hands for your next property transaction look no further than Velocity Conveyancing Woden.
As Kell Thomas succinctly stated on Google, “Fast, responsive, and direct communication. Second time I’ve used them.”
General practitioners, KJB Law have a deep seeded history within the local Woden community. Their team of experienced lawyers present a range of legal specialisations, from family to property law.
This depth and breadth of expertise benefits those seeking residential or commercial conveyancing and leasing alongside other family law needs.
Ryan Coe shared the following on Google, “Kristi and Vibha handled the conveyancing for my property purchase, and I can’t recommend them enough, quick and efficient and always helpful making sure you have all the information you need throughout.”
Since first opening their doors in 1984 as a one solicitor practice, Ray Swift Mourtrage & Associates has grown into a boutique generalist law firm. Their team of experienced lawyers work across property, commercial, family, and contracts law.
Offering a comprehensive range of property services, the team at Ray Swift and Mourtrage can assist with end-to-end conveyancing of all manner of residential, commercial, and rural title transactions.
May Winter stated the following on Google, “Fabulous service from Vivek in conveyancing - was on top of all details all the time and did everything in a timely and professional manner. Would recommend!”
Boutique law firm, Bedfords Legal, specialise in commercial, property, succession planning, and deceased estates law. Their team of seasoned lawyers bring a wealth of experience to the table for all conveyancing matters.
When it comes to property law, they offer services to assist with the purchase or sale of residential, commercial, mixed-use developments, subdivisions, joint ventures and more. With a dedicated property team they are one of Woden’s best.
Troy Sellers had this to say on Google, “I recently had Bedford’s Legal handle a property sale through Donna Clarke, and I can only the service was above and beyond. If I could rate 6 star I would. Thorough, professional, and well-priced.”
For more, see our article on the best conveyancing lawyers in Canberra. For related services see the best wills and estate lawyers, the best mortgage brokers and the best tax accountants that Canberra has to offer.
Your experience with conveyancing lawyers in Woden
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the conveyancing lawyers in Woden listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is conveyancing?
In short, conveyancing is the process of transferring a property’s legal title from the current owner to a new one. Conveyancing usually involves the preparation, execution, and lodgement of various legal documents to enable a smooth legal sale. This process typically encompasses three phases: preparation of sale contract, the exchange of contracts, and completion of sale.
Conveyancer versus lawyer – what’s the difference?
The key difference is that conveyancers specialise in the process of conveyancing only i.e., the transfer of ownership of property between parties. On the other hand, a conveyancing lawyer specialises in real estate law. This added expertise is far greater, allowing them to offer a broader range of legal services in addition to conveyancing.
Why should I use a conveyancer?
Conveyancing lawyers offer many benefits to clients. They essential inform and guide the transfer of property ownership, streamlining the process and alleviating stress for clients. Importantly, conveyancing lawyers ensure legal obligations are met, and that client rights are protected. A conveyancing lawyers services may also be needed when updating a title, subdividing land, or when registering, removing, or changing an easement.
How long does the conveyancing process take?
A typical contract for sale can be prepared within as little as five business days. Once contracts have been exchanged, the standard settlement period is usually six weeks. That said, your conveyancing lawyer may be able to negotiate this period further.
What does a conveyancing lawyer cost?
Conveyancing fees typically range from $1,400 to upwards of $2,800 per transaction, depending on the nature of the property and whether you are buying or selling – or both. Some additional services may incur extra costs, so be sure to clarify costs and inclusions.