If you own or rent a building, you’ll want a functional, safe, clean and productive environment for occupants. A building manager will support you to do just that.
On site building managers are responsible for the smooth running of small, medium and large-size buildings and other facilities. They have a large number and wide range of responsibilities, including coordinating the maintenance and repairs of buildings, inside and out. Building managers also have great supplier contacts and know how to manage multi-disciplinary teams of providers.
In this article, we’ll outline the qualities to consider when choosing a building manager, and share where to find the best in Canberra.
What makes a great building manager?
Choosing the right building management company can give you peace of mind by ensuring your building and surrounds are safe and well maintained and that you have someone on site who can respond quickly to unexpected matters. Buildings are complex structures and having a knowledgeable onsite manager is a big plus.
It can be helpful to keep the following in mind when choosing a building manager.
- Proper qualifications. You’ll want a building manager who is properly qualified, licensed and insured to do the job, and do it well. Check out credentials and qualifications on building management company websites or call them to discuss their offering and points of difference.
- Number of properties. Some building management operators are bigger than others and look after a high-volume of buildings, some of which are super large. Ask how many buildings the company manages and how many staff they have on board to back up their service, so you don’t get locked in to inefficient or unresponsive service.
- Expertise and experience. In addition to formal qualifications, you’ll want to be confident that your building manager has depth of experience, especially important given the breadth of their responsibilities and the complexities of managing small, medium and large-size buildings.
- Value for money. You’ll not only want a building management company that itself offers value-for-money, you’ll want one that ensures value-for-money by spending your funds wisely. This includes through competitive and fair sourcing of suppliers or contractors.
- Quality service. Ask your building management company what procedures and processes they have in place for providing quality and responsive service. Also ask about their response and turnaround times so you know what you can reasonably expect.
The best building managers in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
Award-winning Vantage Strata believes the role of a building manager is to be the eyes and ears of a building, ensuring that the critical daily systems and processes are running smoothly, and responding to matters arising during the course of an ordinary day.
Onsite building management services are extensive and tailored to client needs.
Vantage Strata provides important after-hours access, understanding the stress that can arise from emergencies that rear their head outside regular working times. Staff are available 24/7 to eliminate these pressures.
Quality control inspections is another service line, with Vantage Strata’s quality control officer ensuring buildings are maintained to the highest degree. Vantage Strata’s security management services ensure buildings are kept safe, including through CCTV and access management. Building managers provide onsite building induction for service providers so they understand the processes and procedures of a building. Reporting on daily building activities is key. Detailed, accurate and transparent reports are provided so the Executive Committee can perform its duties with confidence.
Vantage Strata provides building management services with clear and ongoing communications, acting as an important link between the Owners Corporation and Strata Manager.
For two consecutive years, Vantage Strata has won the Strata Community Management Business Awards by the Strata Community Association ACT. That’s three times in Canberra during its five years in business.
On Google, Braedan Kidd wrote, “My Property Management agency has dealt with countless strata companies over the years. Vantage is by far the best. Phone calls are answered, account queries dealt with and buildings well maintained. ACT unit owners are lucky to have them.”
Grady Strata provide comprehensive building, facilities, and strata management services for residential and mixed-residential complexes. On site building managers are responsible for the day-to-day operation of buildings. They take a hands-on approach to maintaining high standards of modern commercial and residential apartment complexes. Grady Strata’s building managers manage, coordinate and supervise repairs and maintenance, and contribute to energy and cost savings through smooth plant operations.
On Google, Ashleigh Maree wrote, “Grady’s is the most responsive, helpful and kind strata managers (and receptionist). Ten out of ten every time.”
If you’re looking for more information on other building, facilities and property management services, you might like our articles on the best strata managers, best property managers and best facilities managers Canberra has to offer.