Looking to entertain the kids with a trip to the playground? Excellent idea. Outdoor playgrounds are a wonderful way to get the little ones moving, climbing, swinging, and running, while firing up their imaginations.
If you’re in the Canberra region, you might be wonder which playground in the area is, in fact, the very best. Well, we’ve got you covered.
After conducting some local research and reading a whole lot of reviews, we’ve narrowed it down to three excellent playgrounds that are sure to have your kids entertained for hours. Ready to jump right in? Let’s go!
What makes a fantastic playground?
A swing set and a slippery-dip may be all you’re looking for, but there are a few additional features that can transform an average park into the best playground in Canberra. We suggest looking for the following traits:
- Inventive and inspiring equipment. Make your trip to the playground one to remember with inventive, unusual, and inspiring equipment. Of course, it’s essential the playground is clean and well-maintained, too.
- Shade cloths and other safety features. Keep the kiddies out of the harsh Aussie sun and stick with playgrounds that are partly or fully shaded. Other important safety features may include a soft ground and adequate railings.
- BBQs, bathrooms, bubblers, and other facilities. Some families love packing a picnic or BBQ and heading to the park. For this, things like bathrooms and fresh, clean bubblers are vital for a great time.
- Ample seating for the grown-ups. If your kids are old enough to navigate the play equipment without an adult, it’s ideal for the playground to have benches for the adults to relax on.
- Close proximity to a café.This is a bit of a bonus feature, but who doesn’t want to pick up their morning latte before heading to the park?
The top playgrounds in Canberra according to you
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 19 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and maintain a minimum average of 4/5 stars on both Google and Facebook reviews.
Let’s check out the best playgrounds in the Canberra region according to you.
For the small climber, you cannot go past the uniquely challenging and delightful Pod Playground. Ready to inspire the imagination of the little explorer in your family, this unusual playground is unlike any other in the region. Featuring a network of giant acorn cubby houses, nest swings, and banksia pods – all set among picturesque scenery – your kids will happily spend hours here embarking on adventures of their own choosing.
If variety is what you’re after, Boundless Playground is an excellent option. With numerous play areas featuring all the favourites (slides, swings, and cubby houses) and extensive bathroom facilities, your family can easily spend hours exploring this partly-shaded park. Boundless Playground also features a water play area perfect for those hot summer days.
Known as the ‘lungs’ of Belconnen, John Knight Memorial Park is a scenic expanse of parkland, walking and cycling trails, picnic facilities, and playgrounds. When the kids are finished on the equipment, it’s time for the whole family to explore the area – you’ll even find streams, waterfalls, rock pools, and fountains.
Which playground do you frequent?
Which park or playground is your favourite in the Canberra region? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.
If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.