This week’s Gig Guide features alternative punk band Elk Locker, who have just recently released their new EP ‘Hollowing’. Check them out this Saturday as they launch the EP at Transit Bar from 8 pm, with Snakepit, Blue Velvet and Sleeping Dogs.
Melbourne band Face Face promise a night of “indie-rock for nostalgic 90s kids” at Transit Bar on Thursday, as they play with Helena Pop, Lady Denman and Azim Zain & His Lovely Bones. Fans of instrumental indie chamber music would be foolish to miss Hinterlandt from Sydney, who play at Smith’s from 9.30 pm on the same night.
They is also another Save The Phoenix initiative this weekend, with Friday night seeing a huge line-up with Mikelangelo, Brass Knuckle Brass Band, East Row Rabble and Betty Alto gracing the stage. Doors open at 4 pm, bands start at 8 pm.
Celebrate Australia Day with some classic tunes and great vibes, including the best Aussie anthems, in the picturesque village of Gundaroo. The beautifully restored Gundaroo Colonial Inn is the perfect setting to kick back and enjoy Canberra five-piece cover band Dark Horse playing a mix of the hits everyone knows and loves.
Then keep an eye out on Saturday as CBR live music starts to pick up again after the break, with a load of shows including Kilroy and Dog Name at The Phoenix, a mega line-up including Lions of the Underground at The Basement, while The Front have a huge night of death metal and hardcore lined up with Melbourne bands Defenestration and WRONG.
- Vanishing Shapes @ Smith’s Alternative, 7 – 9 pm
- Acoustic Pints: PAINT on PAINT, Beth Monzo, Lady Denman and TeddyC @ The Phoenix, 8 pm start
- Cobargo Folk Festival Launch: The Fuelers and David Ross Macdonald @ Smith’s Alternative, 9.30 pm start
- Dan Walsh @ Smith’s Alternative, 7 – 9 pm
- Face Face w/ Helena Pop, Lady Denman and Azim Zain & His Lovely Bones @ Transit Bar, 8 pm start
- Hinterlandt ‘Ode To Doubt’ tour @ Smith’s Alternative, 9.30 pm start
- Variety Concert: KOKOLOCO, Gypsy Dreaming, Michelle Xu and Mia Huang @ Smith’s Alternative, 12 – 2 pm
- Save The Phoenix: Mikelangelo, Brass Knuckle Brass Band, East Row Rabble and Betty Alto @ The Phoenix, 8 pm start
- Dark Horse @ Gundaroo Colonial Inn, 8 – 11.30 pm
- Snake Oil Preachers @ Smith’s Alternative, 3 – 6 pm
- Aussie Bangers and Mosh: Lions of the Underground, Kitten Hurricane, Scavenger I Become, The Maybe List, Prophecies and Reliqa + more TBA @ The Basement, 7 pm start
- The Novellas w/ special guest Craig Alexander @ Smith’s Alternative, 7 – 9 pm
- Kilroy, Dog Name, The Wrst and Sam Hardwick @ The Phoenix, 8 pm start
- Elk Locker ‘Hollowing’ EP launch w/ Snakepit, Blue Velvet and Sleeping Dogs @ Transit Bar, 8 pm start
- Defenestration and WRONG w/ Blight Worms, CHUD and John Howard @ The Front Gallery and Cafe, 8 pm start
- Sunday Jazz Jam @ Smith’s Alternative, 1.30 pm start
- Richard Perso @ Old Canberra Inn, 4 – 7 pm
- Beth Monzo @ Polish White Eagle Club, 4.30 – 6 pm
- Endrey’s Musical Singalong Hour @ Smith’s Alternative, 7 pm start
- Bootleg Sessions: Wandering Ghosts, Second Sun, Hence the Testbed and Renegade Peacock @ The Phoenix, 8 pm start
- Capital Club @ Smith’s Alternative, 9.30 – 10.30 pm
- BANG!! BENG!! BING!! BONG!! BUNG!! @ Smith’s Alternative, 7 – 10 pm
Check out our Gig Guide for upcoming world-class live music showcasing local talents, Australian artists, and international musical acts at some of the best venues in the country. Find out about the latest gallery and exhibition openings, new restaurants, all-day cultural events, family-friendly activities, and so much more. There truly is something on offer for everyone, no matter what tastes and interests you have.
Our What’s On page details the shows, events, and activities taking place over the coming days. We make it easy to plan your week, with all of the vital information in one place: when, where, who, and why.
So, get your diary ready and start making plans. It’s time to explore Canberra’s lively events calendar, and get the most out of life in our wonderful city.