This week’s featured band is the mighty Yoko Oh No!, one of Canberra’s biggest and wildest punk bands. Check out their blisteringly excellent EP ‘White Commodore’ here. Check them out this Friday, when they will be playing with Mule and Starrats at The Phoenix from 9:00 pm.
On Thursday, make sure to catch Mikeangelo as he reimagines Elvis Presley behind the Iron Curtain in The Balkan Elvis, on from 8:00 pm at the Canberra Theatre. Also on Thursday is Soundscapes #23, Canberra’s premier experimental music showcase, featuring Di Drew, Marlane Radice and Coolio Desgracias.
Radio Moscow, coming all the way from Story City in Iowa, USA, whose lead singer I had the pleasure of interviewing on 2XX 98.3FM‘s LocalnLive last Thursday, will be in town to show off their psychedelic smorgasbord at The Basement on Friday night, along with local heavyweights Signs & Symbols and Monoceros.
This Saturday Julia Johnson will be launching her new single ‘Collarbone’ at The Street Theatre at 6:00 and 9:00 pm, while over at the Phoenix HYG will be putting on a huge show at the Phoenix with pals Sarky Bastard, Dalmacia and many, many more. Make sure to tune into LocalnLive on 2XX 98.3FM, from 4:00 til 6:00 pm, on Thursday as I interview HYG, and on Friday when DJ Razzle Dazzle has a chat to Julia Johnson about the new single.
- Classical Capers @ Smith’s Alternative, 7 – 8.30 pm
- John Cameron Mitchell in The Origin of Love @ Canberra Theatre Centre, 7.30 pm start
- The Midwayers w/ Nick & Ned, Sam O’Connell and String Elephants @ The Phoenix, 8 pm start
- Trident @ Smith’s Alternative, 7 – 9 pm
- Outer Rhythm w/ Mista Nige plus guest deejays @ The Basement, 8 pm start
- Mikeangelo as The Balkan Elvis @ Canberra Theatre Centre, 8 pm start
- Piss Weak Karaoke w/ Chris Endrey @ The Phoenix, 9 pm start
- Hello Tut Tut w/ Kopasetic @ Smith’s Alternative, 9 pm start
- Soundscapes #23: Di Drew & guests, Marlane Radice and Coolio Desgracias @ Smith’s Alternative, 9.30 pm start
- CBR DIY Presents: Slow Dial, Betty Alto, The Get Downs and Endrey @ Wintervention, 6 pm start
- Radio Moscow w/ Signs & Symbols and Monoceros @ The Basement, 7 pm start
- The Mason Rack Band @ Harmonie German Club, 7 pm start
- Super Rats (Romanian Folk Band) @ Smith’s Alternative, 7 – 9 pm
- Witchskull w/ The Pilots of Baalbek @ Transit Bar, 8 pm start
- Vanishing Point w/ IMMORIUM, The Ascended and BattleBard @ The Basement, 8 pm start
- Yoko Oh No! w/ Mule and Starrats @ The Phoenix, 9 pm start
- Enschway & Friends @ Mr Wolf, 10 pm start
- Mixtape Chorus @ Smith’s Alternative, 3 – 5 pm
- HYG w/ Sarky Bastard, Dalmacia, Off Tap, The Tugs, The New Party and Lady Denman @ The Phoenix, 6 pm start
- Julia Johnson ‘Collarbone’ single launch @ The Street Theatre, 6 pm + 9 pm
- Voices From The Music Room w/ Lisa Richards @ Smith’s Alternative, 6.30 – 9 pm
- Far Away Stables ‘Give It Back’ tour w/ Windwaker, Teen Jesus & The Jean Teasers, After Change and Chasing Nimbus @ The Basement, 7 pm start
- Betty’s last gig!: Betty Slim, Rumblr, Endrey, Standard Deviants @ Polish White Eagle Club, 7 – 11 pm
- Spit Syndicate ‘Orbit’ tour w/ special guests @ Transit Bar, 8 pm start
- Slum Sociable @ Mr Wolf, 8 pm start
- Thando @ Smith’s Alternative, 9.30 pm start
- Sunday Jazz Jam @ Smith’s Alternative, 1.30 pm start
- Old Timey Tuesday @ Smith’s Alternative, 7 pm start
Check out our Gig Guide for upcoming world-class live music showcasing local talents, Australian artists, and international musical acts at some of the best venues in the country. Find out about the latest gallery and exhibition openings, new restaurants, all-day cultural events, family-friendly activities, and so much more. There truly is something on offer for everyone, no matter what tastes and interests you have.
Our What’s On page details the shows, events, and activities taking place over the coming days. We make it easy to plan your week, with all of the vital information in one place: when, where, who, and why.
So, get your diary ready and start making plans. It’s time to explore Canberra’s lively events calendar, and get the most out of life in our wonderful city.