If you haven’t noticed already, some roads have been closed and traffic arrangements have been changed for Summernats 31. The ACT Government is warning Canberrans to expect delays around Exhibition Park between Thursday the 4th and Sunday the 7th of January, 2018.
Transport Canberra and City Services’ Traffic Manager, Robyn Hawkins, said the arrangements were in place to help manage the large influx of people and vehicles.
“We want to see people safely enjoy this event while also taking into consideration nearby residents and road users.”
Weekly NewsletterEvery Thursday afternoon, we package up the most-read and trending RiotACT stories of the past seven days and deliver straight to your inbox..
Alcohol-free zones were also created along Aspinall Street, Morisset Road, Stirling Avenue, Northbourne Avenue, Lonsdale Street and the Federal Highway within the ACT in both directions.
“Short sections of Old Well Station Road, Flemington Road and Phillip Avenue have also been nominated as alcohol-free zones. The parking area north of EPIC and the parking area at the corner of Randwick Road and Flemington Road will also be alcohol-free,” said Ms Hawkins.
“Parking officers will be active in the area during Summernats and drivers are reminded to park legally. Illegal verge parking will also be enforced by parking inspectors, with a particular focus on pedestrian and vehicle line of sight safety issues.”
The ACT Government has developed these arrangements with the Australian Federal Police, Exhibition Park in Canberra, Summernats and residents from Watson and Downer.
Below is a full list of closures and changed traffic conditions:
- Stirling Avenue is closed between Knox Street and the Federal Highway from 10 am on Thursday 4 January to 7 pm on Sunday 7 January 2018.
- Lonsdale Street is closed between Cooyong Street and Girrahween Street from 9 pm to 1 am on Friday 5 and Saturday 6 January 2018.
- Elouera Street is closed between Torrens Street and Mort Street from 9 pm to 1 am on Friday 5 and Saturday 6 January 2018.
Changed traffic arrangements
- Left turns prohibited from Flemington Road onto Randwick Road during peak times.
- The speed limit on Flemington Road between the Federal Highway and Sandford Street is reduced to 40km/h.
- Additional parking is available north of Exhibition Park in Canberra, with access via Sandford Street or Old Well Station Road.
- ‘No Parking’ and ‘No Camping’ signs are erected on both sides of Northbourne Avenue and the Federal Highway.
- There is a no ‘drop-off’ or ‘pick-up’ area along Flemington Road. Designated ‘drop-off’ and ‘pick-up’ areas will be provided along Randwick Road.
Delays and detours
- Delays are expected on Northbourne Avenue and the Federal Highway near Exhibition Park in Canberra.
- Light rail construction work is ongoing along Flemington Road. Some delays can be expected and motorists are advised to avoid the area where possible or use alternative routes.
- Motorists are encouraged to use Antill Street and Wakefield Avenue as alternative routes.
- Motorists travelling to and from Gungahlin are advised to use Gungahlin Drive.
For more information on road closures please visit www.tccs.act.gov.au