ACT Women’s Premier League Round 11 Review

Canfan 16 June 2014

ACT Women’s Premier League Football Round 11 – Review.

Sunday 15th June

Weston-Molonglo FC 7 v ANU WFC 0

Weston-Molonglo FC kept their hopes of a top four place alive after accounting for ANU WFC in a comfortable 7-0 victory. The Magpies led 2-0 at the interval and the pace of their attacks was simply too much for the University team to deal with after the interval with the score blowing out as the visitors ran out of steam later on. It took Weston 37th minutes tom find the breakthrough however as patient play finally opened up a tough ANU defence with Annica Schoo netting the first goal of the afternoon. Weston then struck a killer blow on the stroke of half-time as Bridgit Plummer found a way past Sara-Jane Merefield in the ANU goal to double the Magpies lead. After the break ANU kept defending solidly and caused the odd problem in transition but once Hope Wilkins had scored the first of her treble in the 54th minute, the destination of the points was never in question. Wilkins made it 4-0 with her second of the match in the 66th minute before a brace of quick-fire goals increased the lead to half-a-dozen. Karen Clarke bagged her eighth of the season in the 72nd minute with Wilkins taking her tally to eleven sixty seconds later. An Anna Bennett goal in stoppage time completed the win for the hosts.

Canberra FC 1 v Belconnen United 1

REPORT BY JOHN COLLEY: Canberra FC will be counting themselves lucky after scoring a remarkable last minute goal to share the points with Belconnen United at Deakin Stadium. The match that promised much, was scratchy throughout, as neither midfield was able to gain ascendancy over the other. Then when the ball did go forward, both defences stood firm, shutting out any potential goal scoring threats. After a dour start, the first half received a spark minutes before the break as Belconnen broke the deadlock from a corner. A dangerous corner from Catherine Brown was placed perfectly as players from both sides attacked the ball. Unfortunately for Canberra FC the ball found its way into the back of their net, the goal credited as an own goal to Najwa Allen. Caitlin Munoz then almost doubled Belconnen’s lead in the dying minutes of the first period. A free kick was taken expertly by Munoz, only to be denied by the crossbar. Much of the second half was a stalemate like the first, however, as the game ticked into the final ten minutes Canberra FC began to surge as Belconnen looked to see out the remaining time. Then with just stoppage time remaining Belconnen conceded a dubious corner. Aleisha Tupper driving in the corner which went over Belconnen keeper Jessica Giovinazzo and hit the back post before coming back across the goal line and going in with Giovinazzo and two goal line defenders unable to stop it.

Tuggeranong United 1 v ACTAS 4

ACTAS cemented their position in the top four with a 4-1 victory over Tuggeranong United at Kambah 2 on Sunday afternoon. In the process they opened up an eight point gap between themselves and their beaten opponents splitting the ACT Women’s Premier League into two distinct groups after eleven rounds. There was nothing to choose between the pair however for the majority of the match, but a strong second half performance from the Academy saw them over the line. Tuggeranong had started the match well, taking the game to their higher ranked opponents and defending stoically. They got their reward on the stroke of half-time as Kristy Helmers broke the deadlock. The interval did little to help their momentum though and it was ACTAS who came out firing after the break. Mikayla Van Deyk has been a standout in ACTAS’ colours and she took control of the game equalising within two minutes of the resumption of play. With Tuggeranong shocked by the concession of their lead, ACTAS struck again as Emma Bestek made it 2-1 to the away team in the 58th minute. United pushed hard for a way back into the match but a brace of goals within two minutes from the prolific and exciting Van Deyk, taking her to eighteen goals for the season in only nine matches, took the fixture away from Tuggeranong and secured a 4-1 success.

Canberra Olympic 1 v Monaro Panthers 6

Monaro Panthers increased their lead at the top of the ACT Women’s Premier League with a thumping 6-1 away victory over Canberra Olympic in Round 11. The high-flying Panthers were made to sweat until the final moments by seventh placed Olympic who shipped three goals in the final eight minutes after appearing to be heading towards a narrow loss. Meg McLaughlin, the Golden Boot leader, gave the Panthers the lead in the sixth minute but the visitors was unable to build on that advantage as Olympic battled ferociously and went into the sheds only 1-0 down. It didn’t take long for Monaro to go further ahead in the second half with Zoe Szeremet netting the first of her personal treble a minute into the second stanza. Within four minutes Szeremet had scored again and the Panthers were well established. Olympic refused to buckle though and Cara Armstrong pulled a goal back in the 57th minute, much to the delight of the home support. The Panthers’ extra quality was always going to tell towards the end of the match and, as Olympic ran out of steam, McLaughlin brought up her twentieth goal of the season with eight minutes to go. There was still time for more as Szeremet completed a hat-trick and Olivia Fogarty made it six, a rough ending on the hosts.

What's Your Opinion?

Please login to post your comments, or connect with

CBR Tweets

Sign up to our newsletter

Region Group Pty Ltd

Search across the site