Ask RiotACT: Who to employ for house repairs

sandysusie 23 January 2018 3
Ask RiotACT

Hi Rioters,

So, this is about what I have always thought of as being the ‘eaves’ of my house, but google informs me the actual term is soffit – the horizontal part underneath the eaves. We’re in a 1970’s house in Kambah and replacing some or all of these has been on my list for some time; a couple are bowed and some are stained from damp. However, recently I realised that one of them has actually fallen out, so it really is time to get some work done, at least to replace the bent and missing ones (but maybe all of them).

What I can’t work out is what trade covers this sort of work? I thought it would be roofing experts, but they seem to only work on roof and gutters? Do I need a builder, or a carpenter, or a handyman or someone else?

Also, any recommendations for a specific person/company would be gratefully accepted!

Many thanks.

What's Your Opinion?

Please login to post your comments, or connect with
3 Responses to Ask RiotACT: Who to employ for house repairs
Jen Dee Jen Dee 10:47 pm 27 Jan 18

I always put my requests on Home Improvement Pages app/website then work through the quotes to find the best value for money

ksg ksg 9:12 pm 27 Jan 18

You should get a company to do an asbestos test first – if the eves are asbestos, you’ll need professional asbestos remover to remove, then a builder to replace them (and possible the edging of the eves) and then a painter to paint them. If you need the edging also I used L&D Consulting for the testing and Inernational Asbestos Removals to remove the eves.

Karen Nicholson Karen Nicholson 8:23 pm 27 Jan 18

A builder, an it is likely there will be asbestos.

CBR Tweets

Sign up to our newsletter

Region Group Pty Ltd

Search across the site