Who doesn’t agree that a nice smile is important to a person’s appearance? But what if the shape, colour or condition of your teeth affect your smile, and your confidence as a result?
Cosmetic dentistry can be the answer, often transforming lives and producing a natural-looking smile. This specialised area of dentistry is also increasingly popular for its health benefits, including improving gums and your bite.
It’s important to remember that cosmetic dental procedures vary in complexity and invasiveness, from minor procedures like teeth whitening through to procedures like dental veneers. You’ll want to be sure that any procedure won’t harm the health of your teeth. You’ll also want to think about a long-term relationship with a dentist should you require more than one treatment.
In this article, we’ll outline the qualities to consider when choosing a cosmetic dentist, and share where to find the best in Canberra
What makes a great cosmetic dentist?
Securing a winning smile means selecting a cosmetic dentist who can help you with realistic options available for your budget. They’ll also remove any worry by explaining in detail a treatment plan.
It can be helpful to keep the following in mind when choosing a cosmetic dentist.
- Training, expertise, experience. Not all dentists specialise in cosmetic dentistry so be sure to select one with the proper training, expertise and experience. Don’t be shy. Ask what education and training they’ve had, as well as ongoing professional development. Also ask if they’re accredited and a member of any professional cosmetic dental associations.
- Up-to-date knowledge. Modern techniques and advancements in dentistry have made some dental procedures more predictable and less invasive. Before embarking on any cosmetic dental treatment, be proactive and ask your dentist if they’re up-to-date on the latest advancements in cosmetic dentistry.
- Every dental procedure has pros and cons so make sure your dentist provides you with transparent information in writing about your investment.
- Confidence in results. Select a dentist who is 100 per cent confident they can get you results and ask if they’ll provide you with a guarantee so you’re not taking all the risk.
- Proven track record. Ask your dentist to see examples of their work, including detailed before and after photos and ask them to describe the dental work they performed. If you’re searching on their website, make sure any images you see are from real work they’ve performed and not from a stock photo library. If in doubt, ask the clinic to confirm image sources.
- Follow up care. As with all dental work, follow-up is crucial to keep your smile beautiful and healthy. It’s important that your follow-up is outlined in your treatment plan so there are no surprises. It’s also important to have the same dentist available to maintain and fix problems should they arise. Remember that the responsible party is the dentist who performed the treatment and not the practice itself.
The best cosmetic dentists in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
Oasis Dental has more than 14 years’ experience in looking after dental patients across the Canberra region, including with cosmetic dentistry and veneers. The practice has a reputation for building strong relationships with patients, providing quality dentistry and care, being innovative and informing patients about their options and possibilities.
Oasis Dental is the only practice in Canberra providing accredited Digital Smile Design (DSD) services. Studio photos, 3D digital scanning, computer designing and 3D printing are used to mock up a patient’s smile so they can visualise what they’ll look like and even make modifications before treatment commences.
This gives patients the assurance of knowing exactly what the cosmetic outcome will look like, as well as the confidence that the cosmetic results meets your expectations.
After an initial consultation, Oasis Dental develops a treatment plan, openly and transparently discussing it with patients, including the high standard outcomes they have the right, and should expect, to receive. This consultation also includes the display of previous Oasis Dental patients’ before and after photos, so you can be assured that the cosmetic work is being performed by an experienced and skilled cosmetic dentist.
Oasis Dental is located at the Kingston Foreshore in purpose-built premises with private off-street parking.
As satisfied patient, Tania Dahl, wrote on Google, “I’ve been a patient of Dr Ricks for over 6 years now. The innovative and caring approach to his dentistry not only gets results, it’s followed up by his professional approach, knowledge and compassion to his patients.”
Cosmetic dentistry is an area of specialisation for Molonglo Dental Surgery. Combining treatment protocols, advanced techniques, technology and quality materials, the cosmetic dental team ensures natural-looking and confident smiles. From minor imperfections to a complete smile makeover, Molonglo Dental Surgery can help.
On Google, Alex Irons wrote, “Dr Monica was AMAZING! I have avoided the dentist for 8 years. She was so gentle, non-judgemental and made me feel a million times better about going to the dentist.”
Canberra Dental Care provides a full range of dental services, including cosmetic, and incorporates the latest advancements in dentistry to give patients the best possible outcomes. The team understands results are as important as a positive patient experience, and staff go out of their way to ensure all patients are comfortable, even during standard check-ups. The clinic prides itself on running on time, to avoid inconvenience for patients.
On Google, Renata Rose wrote, “Stress-free environment, calming dentist and common-sense advice on dental health.”
At Bespoke Dental, patients are a priority. Services incorporate cosmetic dentistry, as well as the full spectrum of general dentistry, including comprehensive assessments, preventive, restorative and implant services. After a thorough examination, a care plan is developed unique to each patient’s needs. Working with patients to achieve better health and a smile they feel good about is a priority – with little or no pain.
Ellen Stay wrote on Google, “Great friendly team who are always so professional. Would highly recommend.”
With more than 75 years’ experience and specialist knowledge, Civic Gentle Dental Care is one of Canberra’s best-known dentist and orthodontist clinics for dental health, hygiene and cosmetic dentistry.
Jessica Gao wrote on the RiotACT, “Civic Gentle Dental Care has the most experienced dentists who also have extensive experience in Invisalign. They are an Invisalign Platinum Provider. Their cost is transparent and a fractional of others while using the same technology and lab …”
If you’re looking for more information on dentistry, you might like our articles on the best dentists in Canberra, the best teeth whitening in Canberra, the best orthodontists in Canberra, the best Invisalign in Canberra, and emergency after-hours dentists in Canberra.
Your experience with cosmetic dentists in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the cosmetic dentists listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.