As a pattern of behaviour, family violence involves the use of power and control by one person in an intimate or family relationship over another. And, this largely invisible social issue touches the lives of more than we could possibly image.
Spanning all ages and ethnicities it knows no boundaries, affecting people across all socioeconomic levels of society. With as many as 1 in 4 women encountering it first hand, the statistics sure are staggering.
Yet each instance of family violence is more than simply a number. Not only is each situation harmful, it can also be incredibly traumatic, stressful, and emotionally taxing. Moreover, impacts of family violence can linger far beyond the present, with lifelong consequences for all those involved.
If you, or someone you know, are seeking a pathway to end the abuse, harnessing the law can help. Experts in family law, family violence lawyers specialise in family violence matters. Offering practical legal guidance and heartfelt understanding, their unwavering support could be the catalyst to change.
What makes a great family violence lawyer?
The best family violence lawyers apply their skills and expertise to help secure a better future for their clients. If you are seeking the services of a family violence lawyer, the following considerations may help:
- Qualified & experienced. All facets of family law are complex, particularly those pertaining to family violence. While appropriate qualifications here are a given, experience can make a world of difference. Great family violence lawyers not only understand the law; they also recognise key issues and professional obligations surrounding it. Importantly, this experience can help with the practical and procedural steps needed to prioritise client safety. And, in managing facets of each case thereafter.
- Family law specialist. Second on the list is a lawyer’s specialisation within family law itself. Finding a robust lawyer specialised in family violence matters does have advantages. Often, these matters act as the catalyst for subsequent proceedings and having a single lawyer manage these can help. Equally as important is their area of expertise, and whether they have dealt with cases like your own. Having done so can provide further assurance that they are the right person to for your need.
- Personally compatible. In difficult times, is natural to surround ourselves with whom we relate – and feel comfortable. The same applies when choosing a family violence lawyer. The right lawyer for you is one that you trust and feel immediately at ease with. They support your overarching philosophy on family matters and conduct themselves in a way that is personally compatible. Often, the best way to assess this is by meeting prospective lawyers in person.
- Compassionate. Anyone who finds themselves in a family violence situation is going to be under a considerable stress. Great lawyers understand that each case is deeply traumatic for all involved, and approach with compassion and care. They listen intently, withhold judgement, and are sensitive to the needs of all parties. Hence, seek a family violence lawyer with whom you feel genuine sincerity. One that not only understands your position, but also supports it.
- Reputable. Often, the best family violence lawyers are also the most reputable. Known as being leaders in their field, their favoured reputation assures a level of confidence for clients. Consult trusted parties be it family, friends, or colleagues for any recommended suggestions. Conduct a little research and be sure to review as much as possible A history of court success is a helpful indicator, particularly for family violence matters.
The best family violence lawyers in Canberra
Riotact’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on Riotact and maintain a minimum average of 4/5 stars on both Google and Facebook reviews.
Boutique family law specialists, Parker Coles Curtis, bring an impeccable reputation within the family law space. Their team of highly qualified, accredited, and awarded family lawyers are known for combining decades of experience with empathy, compassion, and unwavering commitment.
With a philosophy that centres on taking the fear out of moving forward, Parker Coles Curtis provide compassionate support for those in situations of family violence. Their dedicated team of family law experts help clients navigate the process of escaping an unhealthy or abusive relationship, whilst also prioritising safety and well-being.
Importantly, Parker Coles Curtis understand the complexities of family violence matters, and can assist in obtaining orders to ensure protection. Their goal is to empower clients with the knowledge and resources needed to make informed decisions that enable them to take back control of their lives. Their lawyers are trained in trauma-informed practice, which makes them well placed to understand the responses of victims in the legal process which can be confronting and destabilising, if not handled with care.
Known for their empathetic approach, Parker Coles Curtis strive to create safe pathways towards a future free from violence and fear. They are deeply committed to providing a supportive environment, where clients feel heard, valued, and understood.
Beyond their legal expertise, Parker Coles Curits value the connection of a supportive network, linking clients with the right organisations specialised in assisting victims of family violence. And, when the time comes to address other family law matters, the team services the full extent of family law needs.
For legal counsel who are there to listen, support and assist clients to garner the strength and courage to move forward, look to Parker Coles Curtis. Here a client’s wellbeing matters, and the team take pride in dedicating their service to the journey toward safety and security.
Anneliese Knight shared the following on Google, “Thanks to Parker Coles Curtis for taking on my case three years ago. The support you gave me in the initial stages was foundational in helping me have the courage to go through the process. Your continuous steadfast advice helped me to back myself even in the most challenging of times. The team was always prompt in responding to all correspondence and making sure I had everything I needed. If you need support in all things Family Law, I highly recommend the team at Parker Coles Curtis.”
Hijazi Curran Cameron Lawyers or HCC are a specialist family law firm providing legal services to the Canberra and surrounding regional community. With two convenient locations in Canberra City and Fairley Square in Murrumbateman, they offer a range of family law services.
With a focus on providing practical legal advice and quality representation, they aim to remove as much stress out of the process as possible whilst addressing need. With a steadfast approach and a compassionate ear, they are a great choice for family violence matters.
Tiffany Jones shared this sentiment on Google, “Chloe and her team have provided exceptional legal services to our family. Their personal touch, non-judgemental approach and sincerity with every contact left a feeling of reassurance at all times. I would highly recommend Chloe and her team for any legal representative you may require.”
Specialising exclusively in family law, Farrar Gesini and Dunn have been operating in Australia for over twenty years. With offices in Sydney, Melbourne, and right here in Canberra, the firm offers a complete range of legal services for those experiencing or at risk of family violence.
Their team of dedicated family violence lawyers can assist with a range of intervention orders and dispute resolution along with impacts across parenting arrangements and property division.
Michelle Trembath shared the following on Google, “It was a pleasure dealing with Daniel Magnussen throughout the whole family law process. He kept me informed every step of the way. His dealings with both sides were professional but in plain English so we could fully understand the process. Thank you to you and your team for the smooth handling of a stressful situation.”
Baker Deane & Nutt (also known as BDN Lawyers) is a full-service law firm that has helped Canberrans resolve legal matters for more than 150 years. This legacy brings experience; particularly invaluable for those experiencing family violence issues.
BDN’s team of qualified, award-winning family lawyers are well versed in the intricacies present in family violence cases. Moreover, they take pride in offering trusted legal advice that helps clients work towards the future.
As Eric Zeitler stated on Google, “I found Baker Deane & Nutt Lawyers to be very professional in all my dealings with them. They were very helpful and offered very sound advice which led to an excellent outcome regarding my matter. I found all the staff to be caring & polite.”
Centrally located in Canberra City, Australian Family Lawyers specialise in family law. Lead by the firms Principal Lawyer and Practice Leader, Adrian Curtis their team of seasoned and skilled lawyers service a range of family violence needs.
Australian Family Lawyers understand that each family law matter is unique. With a practical and empathetic approach, they strive for compassion whilst addressing concerns and supporting clients throughout the legal process.
Robyn Cooper shared this review on Google, “I highly recommend engaging with Courtney and her colleagues if you find yourself in need of assistance or advice relating to family law matters.”
- If there is immediate violence or threatening behaviour against you or a family member, please call the Police on 000.
- Should you require information about domestic violence services or emergency accommodation, please call the Domestic Violence Crisis Service on their 24hrs crisis line 02 6280 0900.
- For those not in immediate danger but seeking support visit the ACT Government’s Community Services.
While we have tried to ensure all information above is current and accurate, law is complex and ever evolving. As individual circumstances differ, please attain legal advice.
Your experience with family violence lawyers in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the family violence lawyers listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is family violence?
Family or domestic violence is an ongoing behavioural pattern that is physically, sexually, psychologically, emotionally, or economically abusive. The impact of such behaviour makes those experiencing it feel fearful, unsafe, controlled, coerced, or threatened.
What telephone support services are available for those experiencing family violence?
1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732) is a national free service available 24 hours a day 7 days a week dedicated to those impacted by family violence. Other 24-hour phone services include Lifeline 13 11 14, Mens Line Australia 1300 737 732, Kids Help Lin 1800 55 1800 and Beyond Blue 1300 22 4636.
What is a family violence order?
A Family Violence Order (FVO) is an order made by the Court to prohibit someone from engaging in family violence towards family members. Those affected by family violence may also apply for children under the age of 18 who ordinarily live with them. If you are considering applying for a FVO please seek legal advice.
What is a child protection order?
Child protection orders differ to family violence orders. They are made by a state children's court when it is believed that a child needs protection. However, children can sometimes be included on family violence orders made for a parent. For more, speak to your family violence lawyer.
Which court deals with domestic violence in Australia?
The Family Violence Court, a specialist court in the Magistrates Court, hears criminal matters connected to domestic and family violence, such as assaults on family members, and applications for intervention orders.