Perhaps you are mid-way through a renovation in Deakin or the gleaming owner of a newly purchased family home in Duffy? Maybe you noticed that the recent downpour ended up everywhere but the pipes?
Regardless of what has brought you here, chances are that you are need of a swift gutter repair or even a replacement. Think you can do it yourself? Think again my friend!
Gutters are more important than you may indeed realise. Effective guttering systems are essential for maintaining the structural integrity of your home and preventing expensive damages.
Without them, water would literally run straight off the roof making its way into walls, windows, and eroding foundations. Poorly maintained gutters are tinder deposits posing serious fire hazards, and sub-standard installations are fraught with issues.
Add to that the need for licensing and adherence to building codes and you will quickly realise that this job is best left in the hands of the professionals. Now, where to find them?
With the market awash with moonlighting handymen finding a qualified and reputable service is ever more important. Fortunately, we have rounded up the best gutter repair and replacement services in the Canberra region. Read on below to find out more!
What makes a great gutter repair and replacement service?
The best gutter repair and replacement services take their work seriously. They understand that more is at stake than some light runoff. As such they accept nothing less than the highest professional and safety standards to keep your downpipes flowing freely. Here is what we think separates the best from the rest:
- Qualified & licensed. As guttering is hazardous work there are a few things to keep in mind with qualifications and licensing. Firstly, gutter installers within the ACT must hold a class D building license issued the by the ACT Planning and Land Authority. Secondly, installers can also require a high risk work license issued by Worksafe ACT, along with a white card. As for qualifications, the prerequisite is a certificate III in Roof Plumbing. Finally, be mindful that guttering is subject to several building codes and standards. For a professional finish that is also compliant ensure your trade has the appropriate credentials.
- Insured. Any vertical work is serious business in terms of safety. Scaffolding and ladders present hazard risks, particularly when navigating upper stories and restricted spaces. As such, only contract those services with an appropriate level of public liability insurance. This will ensure any accidents are covered appropriately, providing peace of mind for you as the buyer.
- Reputable products & parts. Great gutter repair and replacement services will use the best parts and premium products. To maximise your gutters lifespan ensure your contractor uses the appropriate materials from reputable brands. Using quality fittings the first time around will prevent costly repairs due to substandard parts and installation. Remember, failed gutter systems can cause serious water issues around foundations, walls, windows, and ceilings. So, heed the importance of quality to mitigate these costly damages.
- Clear contracts. As with most trades, it pays to invest some time obtaining quotes from various contractors. These quotes should stipulate all the detail you need to assess the quality of products, and of course workmanship. Ask about the type of material included and whether the gutters are seamless. Also confirm what will be used to attach the gutters and the types of finishes on corners. These small details should be answered easily and included on the contract for transparency.
- Warranties & after care. Contractors who offer product warranties and workmanship guarantees are head and shoulders above the rest. So, services that are prepared to back their offer in writing are absolutely worth considering. Moreover, contractors who offer after care services like repairs and maintenance allow you to conveniently shop under the one roof.
The best gutter repair and replacement services in Canberra
Riotact’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on Riotact and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
MC Roofing & Guttering
Locally owned and operated, MC Roofing & Guttering have been servicing Canberra and surrounds for over 15 years. Specialising in the maintenance and replacement services for tiled and metal roofs, they also work offer comprehensive gutter repairs and installations.
They are fully licensed, accredited, and insured and pride themselves on being the dependable experts that clients can rely on. With a two-year workmanship warranty and clean operation promise this team is hard to beat.
Laurence Buchanan shared this great feedback on Google, “Very good tradesman, good price. Did gutter replacement, metal fascia, leaf guard, fixed leaks, repairs to roof, great work.”
The gutter repair and replacement specialists at Agile Roofing Canberra value quality, transparency, honesty and excellent customer service, at competitive prices. The company provides fascia and gutter replacement services as well as gutter guard services, domestic and commercial. Only high-quality materials are used and a 30 year warranty provided. Ask for a no-obligation free quote.
Surya Fajri wrote on Google, “Agile roofing does a great job and is easy to work with. Very satisfied. I would hire them again in a heartbeat!”
Look Up Roof Restoration
A family owned and operated business, Look Up Roof Restoration is directed by Canberra local Keven Brown. With over thirty years in business, they have been restoring tile and metal roofs with expert care and quality craftsmanship.
Whether you’re seeking to repair or replace a guttering system Look Up Roof Restoration will ensure that works are completed on time and on budget. Their qualified, licensed, and insured team will be the safe hands you need to bring your gutters back to life.
Christine Russell shared her review on Look Up Roof Restoration on Google, “Thank you Kevin, Daniel & crew for an amazing job. We had all our fascia, gutters, down pipes replaced along with ridge capping repaired then sealed & repainted. We’re very happy with the end result, the boys were lovely & very professional. Highly recommended!”
Action Roof Repairs & Restorations
Locally owned and operated, Action Roof Repairs & Restorations entered the market aiming to provide an unmatched solution in terms of price and quality. Decades on, their mantra of delivering on everything as promised has seen over 850 satisfied customers and counting.
Their licensed and skilled team are experienced in all products and materials with no job being to grand or small. Whether selected for gutter repairs of installation you can rest assured of the finest products, skilled craftsmanship, and outstanding service every time.
Dianne Pearson shared her thoughts on Google, “I had a persistent leak in my two storey home that needed a roof repair fast after the last downpour we had. They responded quickly and came out to give me a measure and quote the very next day. Very happy with the professionalism of this company and I would highly recommend them if you need any roofing work done around Canberra.”
AVC Roof Plumbing
Owner operator Andrew Cousins is a licensed roof plumber who has been reconditioning Canberra’s rooftops for over ten years. From replacing gutters, fascia and flashings, to complete roof replacements their specialised expertise can assist with your roofing needs.
Whether you need new gutters and downpipes, fascia covers or roof repairs, AVC Roof Plumbing work hard to deliver tailored solutions that meet needs and budgets. They can also provide a one-off gutter cleaning service or scheduled maintenance at competitive rates.
Annette Vincent shared this review on Google, “Andrew fixed a difficult problem with my box gutter and other general repairs to my roof. Communication was great, the work quality is excellent and good value. I'm happy to recommend AVC Roofing, I would certainly use them again.”
If you’re looking for more information on repairs services in Canberra, you might like our article on the best roof repairs, the best garage door repair specialists, the best drain relining services, or the best builders and renovators Canberra has to offer.
Your experience with gutter repair and replacement services in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the gutter repair and replacement services listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I know if I need new gutters?
When gutters are cracked, split, sagging, rusting, or damaged by water and mildew it may be time to replace them. Some damage can of course be repaired, however serious structural problems are better deal with replacement to ensure longevity and proper function.
How much does gutter replacement cost?
The price of gutter replacement depends on various factors including material type, amount needed, degree of access, and whether ancillary items like downpipes, fascia, and fixings are included. Professionally replaced gutters will also include installation costs. Typically, gutter replacement costs from $40 per lineal metre for PVC products up to $150+ for lineal metre for steel. Not these costs are for gutters only and exclude installation and costs for other materials.
What materials are gutters made of?
The most common materials for gutters are PVC, aluminium, colour coated aluminium, stainless steel, and copper.
What is the lifespan of guttering?
In general terms, the life expectancy of gutters ranges from 15 years to 30 years and more. Lifespan will depend on the material of construction, frequency of cleaning and maintenance, and of course climate and surrounding environment.
How often should gutters be cleaned?
Some professional advice suggests that gutters should be cleaned bi-annually to ensure optimum use. Those who reside in high rainfall areas or in close proximity to trees may find that gutter cleaned is required more frequently.