Nothing satisfies hunger quite like a big, juicy, perfectly-cooked steak. Whether you like it medium-rare or well-done, indulging in a restaurant-quality steak is always a treat.
If you are looking for the best steakhouses in the Canberra region, you have come to the right place. We asked Canberra’s locals to share their go-to steakhouses, and now, the results are in.
In this article, discover the top three steakhouses in Canberra and surrounding suburbs. These restaurants serve up delectable steaks with all the trimmings, as well as an array of tasty sides, drinks, and desserts.
Let’s get started right away. Just a word of warning: prepare yourself to get extremely hungry.
What makes a fantastic steakhouse?
A great steakhouse serves up unbelievably delicious steaks. But what else should you look for? We suggest keeping an eye out for the following must-have traits:
- A range of high-quality steaks. Everyone has their favourite cut. Whatever you like, the best steakhouses should have you covered.
- Cooked perfectly to your personal preferences. Do you like your steak rare? Or are you more of a well-done person? Or perhaps you fall somewhere in between. Regardless of your preference, the chef should be able to cook your steak to tender, juicy perfection.
- Incredible sides and sauces. Sides and sauces take a steak dinner to a whole new level. Think sauces like classic pepper and sophisticated red wine jus, and sides like roast potatoes, steamed veggies, salads, chips, and more.
- Lively atmosphere. There’s nothing worse than sitting in an empty, quiet restaurant. The best steakhouses boast a warm, lively atmosphere.
- Well priced. Steaks can be expensive, but they are worth every dollar if they’re well-executed. Find a restaurant that delivers excellent food for a fair price, and you’ve got yourself a winner.
Anything else you look for in a restaurant? Share your thoughts below.
The top steakhouses in Canberra according to you
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 19 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
Let’s introduce the top steakhouses in Canberra according to the region’s locals. These restaurants know steak, and won’t let you down.
There’s something for everyone at Capitol Bar and Grill – steak lovers and vegetarians alike. This modern restaurant and bar was conceptualised by renowned Australian restaurateur Robert Marchetti, the Creative Food Director of QT Hotels. Combining the best of fresh Italian cuisine with prime cut steaks – all of which are cooked on the wood-fired grill – Capitol Bar and Grill is a must-visit.
Sleek and sophisticated, Marble and Grain is a firm favourite. This European-inspired gastropub features a stunning polished marble bar, deep timber panelling, exposed concrete walls, and soft leather seating. Their impeccable steaks come with a variety of irresistible sides, including the always popular duck fat fries.
Set in the charming 1920s Melbourne building, this old-style eatery is yet another fantastic place to indulge in a steak. Step foot in Charcoal Restaurant’s doors and be transported back to the Rat Pack era. This Canberra institution has catered to the region’s steak aficionados for more than half a century. If you’ve never given it a go, do yourself a favour and make a reservation.
Who did you pick?
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback, if you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you ever visited one of the steakhouses listed above? How was the steak? Would you go back? Share your thoughts, feedback, and go-to steakhouse in the comments area below for our readers to check out.