Planning a wedding in the Canberra region? Do you want to ensure that memories of your special day are meticulously encapsulated; but don’t know where to start? For many of us a wedding is the single most photographed day of a lifetime.
The tricky thing is that when it comes to wedding photography, you only know what you are getting after the fact. That is why selecting the right photographer and entrusting them with the documentation of your wedding is so incredibly important.
In this article we’ll outline the qualities to consider when choosing a wedding photographer and share where to find the best in Canberra.
What makes a great wedding photographer?
When choosing a wedding photographer in Canberra it’s important to ensure you’re well researched in terms of their expertise, artistic style and personal demeanour. Choosing the right wedding photographer not only ensures that the end result will exceed your expectations; but will also make light work of a few thousand shots!
Here are some starting points to keep in mind when choosing a wedding photographer in Canberra.
- Philosophy. When shortlisting your wedding photographer find one that speaks your philosophic language – that is, what matters to them also matters to you! On the day you will often spend as much time with your photographer as you do your spouse, so working with one that truly understands your outlook goes a long way to minimising stress and getting the most out of the occasion.
- Style. As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. With a myriad of photographic styles out there, finding a wedding photographer with a portfolio that peaks to your soul is the key. Firstly, understand your individual style; then shortlist photographers who’s storytelling befits the mood, tone, and composition that you are after.
- Experience. On such a momentous occasion you want to be in safe hands. Wedding photographers are visual directors; orchestrating everyone from the bridal party to the guests at large. Delve into their experience to see if they have previously shot at your venue/s, can shoot in all light conditions, execute intimate and group shots, and ensure they have contingency plans for illness or weather. Finding a wedding photographer who is highly experienced will ensure that your day runs seamlessly – and is captured perfectly too.
- Credentials. While a photographer’s website and marketing material are a great way to start, always delve deeper to assess the consistency of their work – and importantly the satisfaction of their previous clients. Look for testimonials and reviews that demonstrate a solid track record of happy and appreciative couples. Additionally, check for any industry memberships.
- Tailored Packages. Weddings are not a one-size-fits-all approach, and neither should your photography package. Seek a photographer who can readily tailor a package to suit your individual requirements. Be it dawn to dusk, multiple locations, mandatory shots, or support crew clearly define each with your photographer. Also understand that a lot of the magic happens post-production, so know how your images will be edited and delivered.
The best wedding photographers in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
With over two decades behind the lens founder and principal Emily Hanna is an AIPP accredited and award-winning wedding photographer.
Her mantra is the sincerity of emotive photography – that being comfortable in front of the camera leads to connectivity with the images. This belief is how Emily approaches each couple and the uniqueness of their wedding.
With flexible packages and inclusions, ESH is a wonderful choice for those seeking emotive and authentic wedding photography.
Deltek had this to share on RiotACT, “Don’t forget about ESH Photography. An award winning API Master in Photography. Emily has been practising and honing her craft since 1999. Over 300 wedding in the region and around the world. Definitely in the top wedding photographers in Canberra.”
All Grown Up Wedding Photography was forged when two of Australia’s leading photographers Dan O’Day and Kelly Turner joined forces – both are winners of the Australian Wedding Photographer of the Year and are AIPP accredited.
Artistic mastery is the name of the game with the quality of wedding imagery being head and shoulders above the rest.
For couples seeking sleek photographic artistry All Grown Up Wedding Photography is the perfect fit.
Elizabeth Webb shared this great feedback on Google, “Thank you for much for a wonderful experience and beautiful photos. Erin made us feel so comfortable and captured every special moment. We are so pleased with our collection of photo’s and couldn’t have asked for a better experience.”
Wife and husband duo Mel and Michael are all about capturing light, bright and fun images of your big day. Their wedding photography style depicts relaxed moments in vivid full colour.
Mel Hill Photography caters to each visual aspect of a wedding, from the pre wedding shoot, full day coverage and photo booths at the event, to the ultimate keepsake – luxurious albums.
If an informal and jovial vibe is in order, look to Mel Hill Photography.
Jessica Talfor shared her positive experience on RiotACT, “We had Mel Hill Photography for our wedding photos at Pialligo Estate in Canberra. Mel and her husband were amazing on the day and the photos transport us to the day every time I see them, I couldn’t recommend more!”
Well regarded as one of Canberra’s best Wedding Photographers; Alex Pasquali has over 20 years experience in the game. Based locally, Alex has travelled the world capturing weddings for clients.
His natural documentary style expertly delivers a refined frame-by-frame storyboard of the day. Services include on the day coverage and end-to-end delivery of beautiful albums and prints.
For anyone seeking craftsmanship in all the moments that matter consider Alex Pasquali as the vendor of choice.
Patrick Goodarzi shared this glowing feedback on Google, “Very glad we chose Alex to photograph our wedding. His photos are excellent, he’s a real professional, and he’s also very kind and good natured. No stresses whatsoever. Would recommend him wholeheartedly.”
Who Shot The Photographer’s wheelhouse is the non-conventional – the break with tradition, and the hunt for something out of the ordinary.
They specialise in alternative weddings for adventurous couples who are free spirited and wild at heart. Their stunning works are known for capturing raw emotion and the individual essence of couples united.
With packages including everything from snaps to a drone they are the leading choice for couples seeking an authentic representation of their big day.
Chantelle Brown shared her personal experience on Google, “James thank you from the bottom of our hearts for capturing our incredible day. You have been the laid back, accommodating, and incredibly fun to work with. Having you take our engagement photos and capture our wedding was a complete no brainer.”
For more options on photographers, check out our article on the best photographers in Canberra. And for those planning a wedding, perhaps our articles on the best wedding & marriage celebrants or best wedding bands may be of interest.
Looking for more wedding photographers? The Canberra Fair is designed to help create your perfect wedding. Fair access will allow brides to be to explore and experience an array of premier wedding photographers on show; a bridal runway; foodie fair and more. Keep an eye on Canberra Fair for details of the next showcase.
Your experience with wedding photographers in Canberra.
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback on wedding photographers in Canberra. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the wedding photographers listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.