Have you visited the twin towns of Harden and Murrumburrah in the Hilltops wine region? There’s no shortage of things to do there; discover gourmet delights, take a heritage walk, delve into the history of gold mining and bushrangers, drop into the region’s cellar doors and explore the fresh produce of the region, to name just a few.
Harden-Murrumburrah is perched between the Canberra region and the Riverina. It’s a rich agricultural area with a cool and dry climate that is perfect for vineyards and cold climate fruit growing.
Things to do
- Get a taste of the local region at Harden’s House of Honey, DJ’s on Neil for a scrumptious breakfast, lunch or a coffee, or The Carrington Hotel. And don’t miss Jackson’s Bakery, which comes highly recommended. Or have a picnic at the local park, where you’ll find ducks swimming near the bridge and a lovely waterfall.
- Take a self-guided heritage walk and explore the historical buildings. Neill St has beautifully landscaped gardens and Federation-style buildings to discover and there are plenty of other points of interest to enjoy. Photographers and history enthusiasts will enjoy the range of architecture styles in the buildings, the two museums and the Light Horse Memorial.. Check out the historical museum (especially if you’re a railway fan), court house and old churches including St Mary’s Catholic Church, St Paul’s Anglican Church and the Ross Memorial Uniting Church.
- Enter the Harden Kite Festival.
- Enjoy a spot of shopping at Botanica Romantica, the perfect place to find a gift, or pick up a plant. If it’s fashion you’re after, call in to The Homestead Style boutique.
Getting to the twin towns is easy. The drive only around 90 minutes from Canberra. Take the Barton Highway to its junction with the Hume Highway near Yass, then go northwest along Burley Griffin Way to get you to Harden Murrumburrah.
When to go
Harden is a great place to visit any time of year, but if you’re keen to coincide your trip with local markets, shows and festivals, check out Events in Harden for what’s on in the region before you go.
- Duration: Harden is 1.5 hours’ drive from Canberra.
- Distance from Canberra: Approximately 125km from the CBD.
- Recommended for: anyone who enjoys boutique stores, unique cafes and eateries, photographers, history enthusiasts and foodies.
Do you know of any places around Harden/Murrumburrah that Canberra Day Trips should visit next?