High visibility and unmarked police patrols will be targeting impaired drivers, driver distraction, fatigue and speeding this Easter long weekend, with double demerits to be in force from today (Thursday) until midnight on Monday.
The Easter driving blitz aims to avoid a repeat of last year when 105 motorists were caught speeding on the Easter long weekend – including one driver travelling at 60 kilometres an hour over the speed limit.
In all, 246 Traffic Infringement Notices were issued during the 2017 Easter long weekend.
Officer in Charge Traffic Operations, Station Sergeant Marcus Boorman said Operation Safe Arrival is about motorists arriving at their destinations safely.
“Officers don’t want to deliver heartbreaking news to your loved ones,” Station Sergeant Boorman said.
“Make sure you travel safely this Easter long weekend so you remember the holiday for the right reasons.”
With many Canberrans likely to be heading to the coast for the long weekend, Station Sergeant Boorman said that ACT Policing will be working closely with NSW Police to ensure there is a high police presence on highways like the Kings Highway, as well as all major arterials leading in and out of Canberra.
“There will be a higher number of vehicles on the roads, so be patient, adhere to the road rules and make safe decisions,” he said.
“If you are travelling interstate, make sure you take regular breaks every two hours and don’t get behind the wheel if you are fatigued.”
Double demerits were in place from first thing this morning (March 29) and will continue until midnight on Monday, April 2.
They apply to all speeding, seatbelt, riding without a helmet and mobile phone offences. An additional demerit point applies for all other traffic offences.