Pet lovers from Chapman to Chisholm attest to the soul nurturing nature of their pets. Canberrans, and indeed Australians, are quite simply – in love with their pets. In fact, some sources state that as many as 65% of households are home to a pet – or two!
Dogs lead the charge as the most popular pet, followed by cats, birds, and then fish. Interestingly, this places us amongst as one of the highest rates of pet ownership in the world. And our pet culture has followed suit.
From fur-baby salons to paw friendly cafes we are embracing all animals big and small. Yet, despite the prominence of our pet friendly culture, some things do remain a challenge. Sadly, for pet owners, our animal pals are generally unable to tell us when something is wrong.
As pet owners, we rely on physical symptoms and non-verbal cues to know if they require medical attention. These symptoms often alert us as to whether veterinary care is required, and the level of urgency.
If your pet is facing an urgent medical situation, one of Canberra’s leading emergency and after-hours vets can help. And as time is of the essence, we have shortlisted the region’s leading emergency and after-hours vets below.
What makes a great emergency and after-hours vet?
Great emergency and after-hours vets are cool, calm, and collected in the face of relentless pressure and medically threatening situations. The best emergency vets are laterally minded problem solvers, with a passion for pets above all else. For the best emergency pet care in Canberra look out for these attributes:
- Experienced. In the case of emergency there is nothing more reassuring than knowing your beloved pet is in safe hands. While all practicing vets have completed a doctorate in veterinary science and are professionally accredited; what really counts is experience. A clear mind, steady hand, and calm demeanour under pressure are not a product of chance. They are earned through years of service dealing with all manner of patients, at different stages, and with varied aliments. You may wish to check on the credentials of assistants and nurses to give you an indication on the calibre of staff more broadly.
- Round the clock service. All good emergency and after-hours services should be available around the clock across all days of the week. By their sheer nature, medical emergencies can occur at any time of day and on any day of the year. The best will open and ready to tend to your needs, be it midnight on a Tuesday or first thing on a public holiday.
- Full-service operation. A good emergency and after-hours practice will be a full-service operation with all that you need under the one roof. X-rays, ultrasounds, pathology, a short stay, or aftercare; all medical and generalist patient care needs should be provided for.
- Specialised departments. Some veterinary hospitals or clinics may have access to specialised vets for services such as ophthalmology or dermatology. Conversely, others may specialise in critical care, diagnostics, or cardiology. Consider the state of your pet’s overall health, their current need, and select a facility that can service these.
- Quality aftercare. Should your beloved pet require an overnight stay or regular visits thereafter; consider the services available and match accordingly. This may be particularly significant for pets with more serious conditions, or those that require lengthy stays.
The best emergency and after-hours vets in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
Located in Braddon and open Monday to Saturday, Northside Veterinary Care are an excellent choice for northern residents and their pets.
Home to five full time and highly experienced veterinarians they are committed to providing expert and compassionate care for pets within the community.
Offering a range of general veterinary services including dental, they also offer emergency care. For emergencies during opening hours do call ahead to allow the team to prepare for your arrival.
Lee Caldwell shared this feedback on Google, “Had to take my pup for an emergency visit on Christmas Eve. All the staff were fantastic. Attentive, super friendly and took great care with my furry family member.”
As one of only 54 veterinary hospitals in Australia to be recognised as an Accredited Veterinary Hospital of Excellence, Canberra Veterinary Hospital sure has a stellar reputation. They pride themselves on providing the highest standards of diagnostic, surgical, and nursing facilities achievable.
Offering a range of emergency services from radiology, ultrasounds, endoscopy, and pathology, they have what is required should you need to admit your precious pet.
Canberra Veterinary Hospital also offers vaccinations, microchipping, dentistry, and desexing services to round out their offering.
As Jacqui Frost shared on Google, “Amazing pet care and customer service with affordable pricing.”
Located in Fyshwick, the Animal Referral Hospital Canberra incorporates a specialist referral service and emergency service under one roof, open 24h ours a day all year round. This is supported by a range of complimentary services including diagnostic imaging, nursing, and intensive care.
Their compassionate and experienced team will work with your regular veterinarian to find the best treatment option for your pet, and to ensure the highest standards of animal care.
As part of the larger AHR Group, this team also have access to some leaders in surgery, oncology, internal medicine, ophthalmology, and critical care.
Andrew Mills shared this glowing review on Google, “Fantastic emergency vet open 24/7 when you need them. With walk in service no matter what happens your pet is in good safe hands…..”
Canberra Veterinary Emergency Service are an emergency animal hospital located in Gungahlin. They specialise in emergency veterinary and critical services and offers care for pets in Northern Canberra and surrounds.
Staffed by a team of experienced veterinarians continuously operate in the field of emergency care, they are well paced to deliver exceptional patient care at a time you need it most.
Open 24 hours on weekends, public holidays, and every night of week look to Canberra Veterinary Emergency Service for your urgent pet needs.
Georgia Prideaux shared her experience with the team on Google, “Wonderful, attentive staff who keep you informed in a time of panic.”
Located in Phillip, Capital Veterinary Hospital is a family owned and operated business offering emergency medical services for existing clients every night from 7pm to 7am.
Offering an expansive range of high skill surgical procedures including fracture repairs, orthopaedics, and echocardiography, this highly experienced team are here to help.
Their philosophy is to care for all pets as if they were their own, striving to provide compassionate and personalised care for every pet they see. They understand that pet emergencies are a stressful time and aim to make the process easier for you – and your pet.
Doug Hampton had this to say about the hospital on Google, “Very impressed with the professionalism and quality of care. Fantastic team. Highly recommend.”
If you are a looking for somewhere for your pet to stay look to our articles on the best dog walkers and pet sitters, the best dog boarding kennels and catteries, and the best doggy daycare may be helpful.
Finally, if you’re looking to adopt another furry friend, our article on the best places for rescue dogs in Canberra may be of interest.
Your experience with emergency and after-hours vets in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the emergency and after-hours vets listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.