A nation of animal lovers, Australia boasts one of the highest rates of pet ownership in the world. As more reside alongside a pet than without, trends in the nation’s capital are no different. From feathers to fur and everything in between, Canberran’s are embracing pets in droves.
Offering a bond unlike any other, it is easy to see why. They impart purpose, instil routine, keep us active – and even social. Perhaps most significantly, their unconditional companionship often lasts a lifetime. Yet from time to time our beloved pets may not fare so well.
Be it injury, illness, or simply wellbeing, they too face challenges with their health. For comprehensive circle of life care for your four-legged friend a great vet is exactly what you need. From vaccinations and microchipping through to dental and nutrition, a good veterinarian plays a crucial role in your pet’s health. Looking for a great vet in Canberra – here is our pick of the region’s best.
What makes a great vet?
The best vets are true animal afficionados. They recognise the importance of holistic health and are all about tailoring treatments to suit your pets needs. Here is what we think separates the best vets in Canberra from the rest:
- Reputable. In many instances the best vets are also the most reputable. This makes finding a great local vet as easy as asking around. Here, personal recommendations sought from family and friends are always a great way to start. Moreover, online reviews and pet health websites may also be of benefit. Finally, if you hold pet insurance it might be worth consulting your provider for vet clinic recommendations.
- Qualified. To ensure your pet is in the best hands consider a vet’s credentials. Here both qualifications and experience are key. In Canberra, all vets require a tertiary doctorate in veterinary science and a professional accreditation before practicing. To verify your vets accreditation check the Veterinary Practitioners Board and visit peak industry body the Australian Veterinary Association. While these qualifications are essential; experience is equally as important. Hence, look for vets with a solid track record servicing the community.
- Circle of life care. With pets of varied ages and stages, it pays to find a vet equipped to service circle of life needs. Here, ensure services mirror your pet’s age, with services catering to all needs thereafter. Those with younger pes may need the likes of microchipping, desexing, pathology, and ultrasounds. Conversely, older pets may require more specialised services such as oncology, ophthalmology, or dermatology.
- Compassionate. The best vets are not only animal afficionados; they are genuinely compassionate too. Here, their focus is on the provision of the best possible care, treating and handling each with care and tenderness. Often the best way to assess is by meeting a vet in person. Consider their disposition and how it suits your pet.
- Convenient. A final, yet important factor is your vet’s location and availability. Considerations such as travel time, opening hours, and proximity to home all should be considered. Moreover, consider the ease at which an appointment can be secured. Review waiting times, walk-in capacity, and the provision of after-hours or emergency care.
The best vets in Canberra
Riotact’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on Riotact and maintain a minimum average of 4/5 stars on both Google and Facebook reviews.
With over twenty years in service, Parkway Veterinary Centre have a stellar reputation for their leadership in pet care. Home to six veterinarians and a team of experienced nurses, their dedication to professionalism and the highest standard of care is first and foremost.
Their state-of-the-art practice offers a wide range of medical services for pets including routine consultations, elective procedures, diagnostics, and imaging to name but a few. Advanced services include orthopaedic, endoscopic, and laparoscopic surgery as well as emergencies and critical care.
Lyndall Moore shared this sentiment on Google, “Fabulous vet clinic. All staff are really friendly and understanding. They fitted my dog in at very short notice and we were not regular clients (but I think we will be). Chris the vet was great took time and care with my dog and fully explained things to me.”
Founded by Dr Tanya Caltabiano, The Foreshore Vet adopts a modern approach to pet care. Their contemporary, purpose-built contemporary veterinary clinic is conveniently located at The Causeway in Kingston.
Making headway as a young clinic, their ambition is to provide the best quality patient care. Along with her team of highly qualified and experienced vets and nurses, Dr Caltabiano offers a range of wellness, emergency, diagnostics, surgery, and behavioural services.
As Lucinda McCarthy shared on Google, “Foreshore vet was a breath of fresh air! After struggling with other vets that seemed so business orientated, it really seems that foreshore vet had gone out of its way to create a new idea of what a veterinary practice could be….”
With a legacy that spans back to 1987, Manuka Veterinary Hospital have helped countless pets with their health and wellbeing needs. Lead by Dr Archinal and his team of vets, nurses, and support staff, Manuka Veterinary Hospital have an impeccable reputation the region over.
Services include routine consultations, diagnostics, surgery, dentistry, dermatology, acupuncture, and behaviour. Open Monday to Saturday with an onsite chemist they stand as one of Canberra’s best.
As Marcus Dawe stated on Google, “Good old school vet. Caring vets and none of that 'rip you off' impersonal vet clinic approach that has become so common. Absolutely recommend them.”
Run by dynamic wife and husband duo, Dr Jasmine and Henry Gregory, Melba Veterinary Clinic are committee to providing the regions pets with the best quality of life possible. Offering current clinical knowledge and market leading equipment, their friendly and experienced team ensure optimum outcomes for pets.
The team at Melba Veterinary Clinic offer a wide range of services designed to improve pet heath, mental wellbeing, and comfort. With a fully equipped laboratory they offer diagnostics, regular consultation, dental, vaccinations, radiography, and surgery.
Mel Fitness shared this review on Google, “Very positive experience. Not our regular vet but they kindly fitted my dog in at short notice. Staff couldn't be nicer. Seen in a very timely manner, no waiting lines like other larger clinic. Vet was amazingly helpful and informative. Well priced. I'll be transferring the care of my other dogs to Melba Vet Clinic based on this experience. 10/10, highly recommend.”
For over fifteen years, the devoted team at the Northside Veterinary Centre have worked tirelessly to provide high-quality care and personal service to Canberra’s pets and pet-owners. With an ethos centred in fear-free care, the team strive to alleviate fear, anxiety, and stress in all pet patients.
Owned and operated by local vets, Dr Adamson and Dr Oakes, Northside Veterinary Centre offers a range of comprehensive services from dentistry and emergency all the way through to puppy school.
Jane Wild had this to say on Google, “Visited Northside for the first time today with my reactive blue heeler who needed a small surgery. Wow was I impressed. All the staff were so professional and so organised. Why didn’t I switch earlier! Thank you!”
There is a lot that comes with providing the best care for your pet. For urgent care see our article on the best emergency and after-hours vets in Canberra.
If you are a looking for somewhere for your pet to stay look to our articles on the best dog walkers and pet sitters, the best dog boarding kennels and catteries, and the best doggy daycare may be helpful.
Your experience with vets in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the vets listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.
Frequently Asked Questions
What does a veterinarian do?
Veterinarians service the healthcare needs of animals, much like doctors do for us humans. Commonly referred to as ‘vets’, veterinarians generally practice in hospital or clinic settings where they treat animals, including our beloved pets.
Why should I take my pet to the vet?
Vets play an important role in maintaining the health and wellbeing of your pet. Along with treating sick or injured animals, they diagnose and manage diseases along with facilitating preventative care programs. As our pet’s mask symptoms easily, regular visits to the vet to helps to keep their health in check.
What is the difference between a vet clinic and hospital?
While there are parallels between the two, the scope of services offered in an animal hospital may be greater, particularly when it comes to specialist diagnostics and treatment. For more, contact your local vet.
How often should I take my pet to the vet?
The frequency of vet visits depends on your pets age and individual needs. That said, most veterinarians recommend that you take your pet to them at least once a year for an annual wellness assessment. On top of this, be sure to pop in should any issues or illness arise.
What does an annual wellness check with a vet involve?
Regular wellness checks allow your vet to prevent, detect, or treat any health issues before they become life threatening. A typical wellness check may include a physical examination, diagnostic test, and a faecal examination. For more information, contact your local vet.