Peter Holland 4 September 2008 134

We have touched on Urbexing, Spelunking and other forms of Exploring in prior posts, what are some areas that are considered fun to check out and won’t result in us being shot / arrested / drowned?

anyone?

Tags

134 Responses to “Exploring” in Canberra – any good tunnels / caves or other fun exploring areas?
p1 p1 4:48 pm 09 Sep 08

What he said. I got into the space between the exterior wall and the interior wall in the Benjamin Office buildings once (worked in there, and someone had left the access door open). That was pretty interesting. I also spent some time exploring the plant rooms etc since I had a key that accessed them as part of my job. Exploring active buildings is quite different to abandoned ones, same feeling about avoiding detection, but with different result if caught.

peterh peterh 4:19 pm 09 Sep 08

Zapruda said :

Are you guys talking about the corridors behind all the shops in belco mall or are they below the mall??

you can explore the corridors, they are ok fun, you just get asked to leave.

the other corridors are subterranean. probably filled in by now, but had a good distance to walk and come up in the churches centre….

Zapruda Zapruda 4:13 pm 09 Sep 08

PBO PBO 2:36 pm 09 Sep 08

Beserk Keyboard Warrior said :

I heard a JJJ story some years back about clandestine (possibly ASIO?) offices which were in operation in the 70’s. Though they are apparently no longer used, their location remains a secret although they did say that they were “beneath a well-known Belconnen carpark”.

Can anyone elaborate on this or can I just put it down to another bad acid trip?

I think that JJJ may have mistaken this for the Communications centre under the old DFAT / John Gorton Building.

Danman Danman 7:53 pm 08 Sep 08

yeah dunno who that is – same name as me – weird huh ?

You aint seen the beginning – Google I.S. Danman – go on i dare ya

Danman Danman 3:11 pm 08 Sep 08

PBO – maybe when I get home – not the most work friendly googling unfortunately.

PBO PBO 2:48 pm 08 Sep 08

Danman said :

I know of a storm tunnel that is affectionately called Guy Fawlkes (Google Guy Fawlkes) that runs right under a prominent federal building on a hill. Complete with electrical conduit and batten fluoro’s. Only been there via my armchair exploration though – to do any more post 911 would be laughing in the face of authorities paranoia – and taa taa to any gainful gubment employment for a great deal of time for the perp

Can we get a link?

Beserk Keyboard Warrior said :

News to me, could be under Cameron offices. That seems to be the most likely spot if there were something under there.

p1 p1 2:39 pm 08 Sep 08

Yeah, I to have “arm chair” explored that drain. Haven’t quite had the balls to check it out in a post Sept 11 world, having met will the police in the past while exiting the drain under Page…

Danman Danman 2:35 pm 08 Sep 08

Fawkes, Guy Fawkes. Not Fawlkes.

Danman Danman 2:32 pm 08 Sep 08

p1 p1 2:17 pm 08 Sep 08

There is a spot in the belco drain where they have sealed up the branch that heads under what is now the AFP headquarters. I always wondered if it is just a wall and a sledge hammer might gain access. Any large build has interesting service tunnels, etc under them, I’ve only seen a little of what the mall has, they always make me think of playing doom or wolfenstien.

peterh peterh 1:37 pm 08 Sep 08

Beserk Keyboard Warrior said :

bad acid.

why would they put it beneath a carpark?

the buildings around are far more interesting….

a set of tunnels that will certainly get you arrested are in the belco mall.

very interesting subterranean exploring areas.

Beserk Keyboard Warrior Beserk Keyboard Warrior 1:21 pm 08 Sep 08

p1 p1 12:24 pm 08 Sep 08

I have been in that drain, and it is the sort of place you could wait out a pretty large rain storm if you wanted, but being drunk leads to stupid decisions, and results in death.

That said, I repeatedly operate a motor vehicle on a public road, and by staying sober and thinking about what I am doing, I am still alive.

Danman Danman 12:12 pm 08 Sep 08

There is a very popular drain in Sydney called the Fortress that a couple of people died in at the start of the year, because it is an ocean outfall drain, and the got washed down it at high tide and couldn’t get out.

I have known of someone camping in that drain for a week all weather – in a safe spot above the main flow – The drain is not iself unsafe – its the lack of respect for what could go wrong.

What killed them was not checking the weather reports and drinking tremendous amounts of alcohol – dulling their wits when they should have otherwise been acutely aware of what was happening to them. Flash floods do come with warning – air moving in a closed circuit indicates fast moving water – temperature and colour change of water in the channel – loose debris (Leaf litter) in the water.. All these things add up to find shelter on a downstream facing wall or ledge or GTFO quickly.

If they were aware of what was going on, *maybe* they could have raced upstream and sat the storm out on a safe ledge/platform above the main flow.

*Disclaimer – I cant make an educated statement without having been there myself.

p1 p1 12:01 pm 08 Sep 08

There are cave at Mt Fairy, north of Bungendore. Mt Gillamatong (the big hill at Braidwood) is on Granite, so probably not real caves, but almost certainly over hangs etc amongst the tors.

peterh peterh 11:48 am 08 Sep 08

there are rumors of caves around the big mountain near braidwood – never got a chance to have a look, but will one day…

peterh peterh 11:43 am 08 Sep 08

crazy thing that we used to do was go over the ginninderra outfall at the end of the lake on an inflatable boat. awesome fun, but the drought soon put paid to that….

p1 p1 11:05 am 08 Sep 08

The bottom of drains that have a constant trickle of water even in summer develop a layer of slime that is the most frictionless substance known to man, you can fall over stepping on it even without flowing water trying to push you over.

I have always been a little uneasy about the drains that ending in lake Ginninderra (the previously mentioned Jamison on, and the one with the Nirvana room), because the drain exits below the lake surface (ie, no way out).

Region Group Pty Ltd