26 October 2022

'Faecal matter' from sick employee likely behind last year's doughnut gastro outbreak

| Lottie Twyford
Join the conversation

A Federal Health Department investigation has revealed the gastro outbreak at a doughnut bakery last year was likely caused by a sick worker. Photo: Michelle Kroll.

A major gastro outbreak at a Canberra doughnut bakery last year was likely caused by a sick worker whose hand hygiene “lapsed” and contaminated food with faecal matter, a Federal Health Department investigation has concluded.

It’s prompted a reminder for food handlers to stay away from work while ill.

A new report has confirmed at least 215 people were infected by norovirus which causes gastro. However, the report noted the full scale of the November outbreak will likely remain unknown.

Health department report

The report from the Federal Health Department was entitled Donuts for Weight Loss? Image: Screenshot.

Norovirus is spread either by direct contact with an infected person or the ingestion of faeces or vomit particles from an infected person.

Of the more than 200 people infected, only one was admitted to hospital on the day they ate the doughnut. This was attributed to them having previously had gastric sleeve surgery, which made them more susceptible to infection.

READ ALSO Pothole repairs shot up but mowing hampered by (even) more rain in wet year

Investigators determined it was unlikely started by a sick patron, although food handlers did not provide stool samples for testing.

According to the report, “the proprietor also denied any reports of staff illness during the study period and reported no incidents of vomiting or diarrhoea among staff or patrons”.

The outbreak, which occurred between 20 to 24 November last year, is believed to have been the largest case of food poisoning in the ACT to date, overtaking the incident at Dickson’s Copa Brazilian in 2013, where 161 people were poisoned by bad aioli.

Doughnuts themselves were determined to be the cause of this outbreak. Of the 301 people who’d eaten from the business and were interviewed, the 215 who had gastro symptoms had all eaten a doughnut.

The business did sell other products, but these were prepared offsite.

Diarrhoea, vomiting and abdominal pain were the most commonly reported symptoms.

READ ALSO Hot in the City: Rasa Rosa opens up in Verity Lane Market

During the outbreak, the business catered for a work function with almost 200 doughnuts.

Investigators were able to use this to try to determine if a particular flavour was more likely to infect customers.

It could not, but it did conclude that filled doughnuts containing cream, custard, jam, caramel or Nutella had a higher likelihood of infection. This was likely because these flavours required more handling than others.

This is believed to be the first time a norovirus infection has been associated with doughnuts in Australia, the report noted.

READ ALSO Forgiving the unforgivable: music seeks to heal in Prisoners of War Requiem

A Google search appears to show the doughnut bakery is again “temporarily closed” and its social media pages have been deactivated.

The full report is available to view online.

Join the conversation

All Comments
  • All Comments
  • Website Comments

Did the workplace function happen at a police station?

Capital Retro9:46 pm 27 Oct 22

I’m now wondering if you are the same Ian that told me what an ex-prisoner who worked in a restaurant popular with serving police officers did to the food that was ordered by them specifically.

Health officials and media should name and shame to deter and educate.
The culprit was Mrs Kim’s Donuts in Kingston. https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/7958127/faecal-contamination-likely-cause-of-one-of-acts-largest-gastro-outbreaks-revealed/

Someone obviously needs their mum (or dad) to teach them to wash their hands properly.

Why not wear clean disposable gloves? Single use plastic when handling food is acceptable.

And then they wipe their face and scratch themselves. Soon no better than bare, washed hands. They should wash their hands properly and also use hand sanitiser. The bosses of the restaurant should do checks.
We don’t need MORE single use plastic.

‘It’s prompted a reminder for food handlers to stay away from work while ill.’

What about ensuring anyone touching food washes their hands first???

Too many people don’t bother. We all know the stats on people failing to wash their hands after using the toilet. It’s gross! And clearly it’s dangerous for us all.

Capital Retro5:10 pm 26 Oct 22

There are doughnuts and doo-nuts.

I can’t even bring myself to read this!!

Daily Digest

Want the best Canberra news delivered daily? Every day we package the most popular Riotact stories and send them straight to your inbox. Sign-up now for trusted local news that will never be behind a paywall.

By submitting your email address you are agreeing to Region Group's terms and conditions and privacy policy.