Three out of five people were set to face court today (23 September) following their arrest by a task force targeting alleged repeat offenders.
Operation Toric officers carried out the arrests across Canberra.
Earlier this month police received reports of a white Nissan Navara and a red Mitsubishi Lancer being stolen from two separate ACT homes.
Officers patrolling Coombs then saw the two vehicles parked at a children’s playground on 15 September, before they attempted to talk with the occupants by blocking the Nissan Navara.
Police said the person inside the Navara allegedly jumped out of the vehicle and onto the bonnet of the escaping Mitsubishi Lancer, before the vehicle sped off with the man still clinging on the front.
Officers attempted to follow the vehicle, where they said they saw the man on the bonnet of the car enter the driver’s seat before mounting a curb, greenbelt and footpath.
On Wednesday officers arrested a 33-year-old Coombs man and charged him with a first instant warrant, two counts of driving while disqualified, failing to stop and two counts of driving a motor vehicle without consent.
The man was refused police bail and will front ACT Magistrates Court today (23 September).
When police arrested the above 33-year-old man at his Coombs home, officers also recognised a 28-year-old woman who was there.
She had a first instant warrant out for her arrest.
She was charged with breaching her bail conditions.
The woman received bail from the ACT Magistrates Court.
Police had received reports of a break-in where keys and a white Ford were stolen on 17 September.
On Wednesday, officers patrolling Kingston saw the Ford driving along Leichardt Street before it parked at a home in the area.
Police followed the 17-year-old alleged driver into the residence and arrested him.
He was charged with driving a stolen motor vehicle without consent, unlicensed driving and being in breach of a good behaviour order, which police said he was placed under less than two months ago.
He’s scheduled to appear before the ACT Children’s Court today.
A 47-year-old Belconnen man received bail on Monday, 12 September, with the conditions not to be in possession of keys, a fob or motor vehicle, report to an ACT Corrective Services Officer, and not to driver or be in the driver’s seat of a motor vehicle.
Police alleged that same day he failed to report to his ACT Corrective Services Officer.
On Wednesday officers said they saw the man driving on Haddon Street, Hackett, before they stopped the vehicle and placed him under arrest.
He was given a drug screening test which was positive before he allegedly admitted to police he had taken cannabis and methylamphetamine.
Further police checks indicated the man’s vehicle was unregistered, uninsured and unlicensed.
He’s set to appear in the ACT Magistrate’s Court today, where he will be charged with breach of bail, driving an uninsured and unregistered vehicle, driving on a suspended licence and driving with a prescribed drug in his system.
A 45-year-old woman received bail last week with conditions that included she had to live in her Evatt home.
On Tuesday (20 September) ACT Corrective Services were told the woman had failed to return to her residence, which meant she was allegedly in breach of her bail conditions.
Officers patrolling Narrabundah on Wednesday spotted the woman at a bus stop and placed her under arrest.
She received bail in the ACT Magistrates Court on the same day.